• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Breathing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tribs

Tribs
May 8, 2007
Hi All

Been in today and I 'm generally getting better at all elements of spearfishing but the one area i'm struggling to pick up information about is breath hold improvement.

I took note about the "power breath" Device but before I shell out £50 ,I was wandering what else I can do apart from my running.

Tribs

Out.

The best thing is lots of time in the water and let it gradually increase.
But early in the season i do 3 co2 tables a week along with a bit of Apnea walking.
Being relaxed as possible during the dive will help your bottom times.

You might as well breath through a straw and save your self £50.

Tribs,

Like Spearheads says try static tables (search them on here). I practice dry statics a couple of times a week early on, this season I went from just over 2 mins to 4.17 ( max breatholds) in 1 week, I had never tried them before. Make sure you take heed of advice about practicing statics in a pool etc- you will find this when you do the search but basically it is never practice statics in the water alone and make sure your buddy knows what their doing. They are boring but they worked for me, I'm sure others will disagree. I've also found apnea walking helps but the best practice must be to get in the sea and fish-I live 4.5 hours from where I mostly fish so I do statics etc to make up for lack of time in the water.

Regards,

Ben

i have heard that those ebay wonder power things are crap. get in the water whenever you can: 3 months of 3 times a week and you'll double or triple your starting point on just about everything.

I have been using those power breathe things for three months now and I have to say there is a marked improvement in my lung capacity, dont spend 50 quid you can pick them up much cheaper, I also think that they are a good tool what ever sport you are doing, my father in law started using one simply to keep health and he really likes it.

I use an 'expand-a-lung' tool and it doeasn't really do anything to the lungs but it does strengthen the muscles which control breathing. Speaking as a runner, It is a useful tool for fitness. Speaking as a freediver, It is not a magic wand to improve diving ability, tho it may help You hold a big lungfull down.

The tool itself is just a screw down adjustable valve on a snorkel mouthpiece... real easy to make.

All it does is resrtict the air and make you pull harder....Just make a fist and breath through your thum and index finger..the harder you clence the harder you have to pull.

i bought a power breathe at xmas, my breathing in the bath lol has gone from 30 sec to 48, so it works for me

I have been using those power breathe things for three months now and I have to say there is a marked improvement in my lung capacity, dont spend 50 quid you can pick them up much cheaper, I also think that they are a good tool what ever sport you are doing, my father in law started using one simply to keep health and he really likes it.
go to argos £30

I use a Blues C harmonica for resistance training and hold my breath running
the beach above the hi tide line.
Cheers, Don Paul

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT