• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bringing a gun to Ireland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Irishdiver

Apr 22, 2010
I'm taking a trip back to Ireland in July this year and was wondering what the deal is with bringing a speargun back with me?

Also any tips on good hunting spots in Galway Clare area?

Thanks for any replies, my first post on Deeperblue:friday

Hi Irishdiver, welcome to DB. I've never taken a gun on a plane but here's my input for what it's worth. Airguns require a firearms cert in Ireland but there are no laws banning rubber band powered guns.
Ireland hosted international spearfishing comps in the past and visiting spearos were issued with temporary licences. If I were in your position I'd bring only a band gun and would call it "fishing equipment". Don't mention GUNS in connection with aircraft.

When DB member Birchy brought a gun on the plane to Guernsey they charged him an extra £40. Not because it was a gun but because it was "sporting equipment" over a certain length. Think you need to check this out.

Dave.

Cheers boys

I reckon if I take it apart put it in a plastic tube and pack it with my dive gear I should be right.

Snow and frozen boats!!Sounds a bit different to Phuket....looking forward to it

Hi Irish the snow is gone but the sea may be a tiny bit colder than Phuket. Not too sure on Clare other than dived Kilkee rocks once and could be alright but Pollock etc and very visible area with a gun and a popular place for scubies (its still illegal to spear scuba divers).

In Galway out to carraroe in connemara theres a place called bothar bui and a nice spot at the end of it. On the spearing thread Foxfish posted there should be a few guys that spear out that direction and would be able to give better info. Give us a shout if heading north west.

If unsure I would take it apart to its component parts.
Once the bands are removed it is not a weapon?

I think wording is the key if questioned.

I expect you will be fine with it, but be assured they will confiscate everything in your hand luggage.

Try explaining to your 3 yr old daughter why the bad man has taken her jar of Marmite.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT