• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

British Spearfishing Association

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A

artiz

The British Spearfishing Association has announced some radical changes, with a new set of goals;

[FONT=&quot]Goals[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develop a recruiting strategy [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Produce a common statement defending spearfishing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develop a strategy to recruit and maintain a group of defenders in spearfishing rights[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develop a safety course in spearfishing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develop a 1st class course in spearfishing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develop a non completive social strategy[/FONT]

Any thoughts?

I may think about joining now and not just for the insurance

I may think about joining now and not just for the insurance
Me too... my only concerns are that the competitive spearfishing side of the BSA will continue to take precedence or dominate which I think I might find irritating? Definitely good insurance though? I also want to know how many other like minded non-competitive spearo's would join just for the representation though. I don't really want to join and then find out that I'm the 'only one' who is not keen on competition's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Their website mentions the requirement of a "national training ticket" and safety ticket, though the cost of obtaining these tickets was not displayed. Perhaps they are free? It is a voluntary non profit organisation. I wonder who the insurance underwriter is?

Their website mentions the requirement of a "national training ticket" and safety ticket, though the cost of obtaining these tickets was not displayed. Perhaps they are free? It is a voluntary non profit organisation. I wonder who the insurance underwriter is?
Do you think that kind of self-regulation (safety ticket) would be unpopular? I can't see many experienced spearo's liking it very much, although you would hope it would be them who actually manage the course or issue the safety tickets in the first place? I'm also under the impression that those new membership options are proposals rather than set in stone. I reckon most spearo's will need to know a lot more yet but at least its a change of direction for the only recognised spearfishing body in the UK who represents us whether we like it or not?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT