• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Bucanero II 96 or Beuchat Marlin 95

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 3, 2021
I've been asking a lot about guns (sorry about that), but I think I'm down to these 2. I know there might be better, but I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck, since I'm also buying my wife a wetsuit and soon getting a small boat, so I'm having a bit on expenses going on

Most deep I've been is 16.4m and most I can stay under is on average is 42 secs

I'm still a newbie to spearfishing and am looking to upgrade the gun I purchased without any guidance (an xdive open hammer 75cm)

Hi cf. Perhaps you could post some links/images/specs for the spearguns mentioned to help the discussion?

95/96 seems like an appropriate size for general Mediterranean use (e.g. 90-100cm). Beuchat Marlin is a decent quality model. Haven't heard of the Buccaneer 2, nor the x-dive open hammer.

Hi cf. Perhaps you could post some links/images/specs for the spearguns mentioned to help the discussion?

95/96 seems like an appropriate size for general Mediterranean use (e.g. 90-100cm). Beuchat Marlin is a decent quality model. Haven't heard of the Buccaneer 2, nor the x-dive open hammer.
Seems Bucanero is more local than I thought. All the info I can find on it is greek, this is the Google Translate version

"bucanero II 96/106/116

Shaped cuttlefish-shaped aluminum tube in the color of choice with guide along the entire length, reverse stainless steel trigger and open head that aligns the tires with the rod"

The Xdive is basically an off brand they got on here in Greece (but I didn't know this until after i had it)

Attachments

• 2744.jpg
    2744.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 2923-1600x1200.jpg
    2923-1600x1200.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 279
  • bucanero-P1030215.jpg
    bucanero-P1030215.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 269
  • bucanero_2_web_1a.jpg
    bucanero_2_web_1a.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 281
  • bucanero-P1030213.jpg
    bucanero-P1030213.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 272
  • bucanero_2_web_2b-90.jpg
    bucanero_2_web_2b-90.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 294
The Buccaneer looks good to me. Similar to the non-roller version of my Apnea Amarok 95 :). Actually I prefer the Buccaneer's double muzzle. What sort of wishbone does it have (and what's your preference)? My Amarok uses a PU barrel "cover" to achieve a cuttlefish/oval barrel shape, looks like the Buccaneer is extruded or might be hydroformed, like the Omer HF models.

Re. the handle colours shown, I would suggest white or possibly orange. If you get black (good camo) you might want to put some white tape around the middle in case you drop it and need to find it in the dark weedy depths ;)

Last edited:
The Buccaneer looks good to me. Similar to the non-roller version of my Apnea Amarok 95 :). Actually I prefer the Buccaneer's double muzzle. What sort of wishbone does it have (and what's your preference)? My Amarok uses a PU barrel "cover" to achieve a cuttlefish/oval barrel shape, looks like the Buccaneer is extruded or might be hydroformed, like the Omer HF models.

Re. the handle colours shown, I would suggest white or possibly orange. If you get black (good camo) you might want to put some white tape around the middle in case you drop it and need to find it in the dark weedy depths ;)
I'm a fan of using Dyneema wishbones and for sure, the handle will be white or orange.

The barrel does have the shape integrated into it, I find it quite convenient and from what I'm told, it helps a lot with lateral movements inthe water

Reactions: Mr. X
I like the Bucanero better. I've had it and is a nice speargun. The reel sucks. You must change it as soon as you get it.
Hi @marco15499, what makes a reel good/bad? Or this one bad? I'm curious as I don't usually use a reel but I did buy one not long ago. I currently have it fitted to my short 60cm speargun but haven't seen any fish while carrying it (visibility has to be very poor for me to carry it ).

In the end, I went with a true and tried Pathos Sniper 105

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks for letting us know, in thread. Enjoy ;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT