• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Buddy spearfishing: How to do it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
+ 2 on my "have to buy list" for a year already..

I was seriously thinking of getting one but the problem I see now is that you can't change what your dive time with be on a dive when you are out in the water. For instance I may start my day hunting the shallows and then go deep or I may start deep and go shallow. Completely different dive profiles and dive times. I wonder if they are addressing this issue?

Overall the thought is great and if it used right it will help to give that little edge of safety.

Reactions: Erik
Did someone ever tried to connect directly to his buddy via a bright coloured floatline? One could act as float, the other dives. The reaction time should be much faster, the buddy easy to locate in bad vis (Doesn't really make sense in good vis). Climbers use such a security system since ever...

Not so it seems. The website states
Freediver's Safety Vest--faq

Sebastian, in many cases I agree this might work I won't argue but if the diver has to hunt in an area with overhanging things (for a better word) there is the possibility of getting snagged up which is a hazard in itself. My floatline is clipped to my gun with a bight tucked under my belt. If I do get snagged I can drop the gun and the bight will pull out and I'll get the gun back later.

I don't think there will ever be a single perfect method for any situation. I believe the best way is common sense but a thread like this can be a great way of listing different methods from which a hunter can adapt to suit his or her needs

I agree with you there Pastor: things tied to you are a big no -no. Imagine a boat buzzes over head and snags the line, imagine hunting in caves and between kelp, the attached line is a disaster. Anything that you must attach should have breakable last link (some light 5lb mono for example).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…