• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

c4 urukay

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

urukay

Aug 15, 2011
Hi everybody ,
i just purchased C4 Urukay 90 and it seems to be a very good gun , but it shoots about 10-15 cm above the aiming point at distance of ,around, 4m. I have two ( 55 and 60 cm )17,5mm bands and 6,75mm spear , 130cm long. Considering that i don't have any experience with similar guns , please , is there any advice how to adjust the accuracy of this gun.

Reactions: Marlon De Jesus
We have some C4 users here on the DB, I sure one or two will comment soon.
Welcome to DB mate, good to have you.

Cheers, Don Paul

Hi Urukay,

Congrats on the new purchase. Nice gun you have there! Out of curiosity, what made you choose the 90cm size? I have the same model in 105 and 120 sizes and like them very much. I would not mind getting a 90 eventually for days of extra dirty water here in the Northeast USA.

What type of fishing will you be going for? These guns are very well suited for long shots at larger fish (10 kilos plus).

Regarding your setup, your 6.75mm shaft is too thin for the gun. This gun is designed for 7 to 8mm shafts. Personally, I think a 7mm shaft is still too thin for this gun, but it might work well on the 90cm gun size. I tried shooting a 7mm shaft on my 105 gun on one ocasion. At the time, the gun was setup with 2 17.5mm bands and the shaft visibly lost precision and power at the end of the line due to it being too light. So I retired that setup pretty quickly.

For a 90cm Urukay such as yours, I would go with a 130cm shaft in 7,5mm. This should help penetration and precision in those 4-meter shots you mentioned. Also practicing these longer shots will ensure you became totally familiar with the gun's range so it becomes second nature. It took me a while to get use to the range of my first Urukay, because I was not used to shoot fish from 5 meters away.

Both of my Urukays are setup with 8mm shafts (150cm on my 105 gun and 160cm on the 120 gun) and three 16mm bands. I tend to prefer 3 16mm bands on this gun part for the ease of loading/unloading and because I feel this gun was designed to perform best with 3 bands. If you go with the 7,5mm shaft, I would consider trying 3 16mm bands, if the type of fish you go after suits it. No sense in setting this gun up with 3 bands for shooting at holed groupers. 3 14mm bands may work well for the 90cm gun as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Claudio

Last edited:
Reactions: Kodama
Hi Claudio,
thanks for your advice. I am spearfishing in Greece for so many years and , lately , due to lot of divers and other legal and illegal hunters , fish behavior changed. For this reason , in last few years I am using ''aquato''technique . I dive at around 15 m and then i use bottom rocks to hide and , without using fins, I use left hand to proceed from rock to rock till 30m ( if I can , depending on day). This way I am finding big fish out of holes. For this , i need a shorter gun with possibility of long shots and this brought me to Urukay 90. This technique is much more exhausting than ''waiting'' or searching in the hole , so , I am resting between two dives for a several minutes and this time I am using to hunt small white fish in the shallow. Most of this I am doing from the surface , hiding behind the shore rocks where the bottom is at 3-4 m and , if you are hidden good and silent , you can find 800g to 1 kg white fishes ( my kids love to eat them ). For this hunt I use only one, shorter band at my Urukay and for this reason I decided to put 6,75 shaft to have quicker shots. Anyway , if 7,5 can help to get precise shots with two bands and longer range , I will certainly try it, because , my primary goal is ''aquato'' and bigger fishes. Also , I am thinking about having two 19mm and 60-64cm long bands and 7,5 or 8mm shaft of 130 cm. What do you think about this ? Once again , thank you.
Urukay

Reactions: Don Paul
Wow, rock to rock from 15 to 30 meters... that's impressive! Having noticed you were from Greece and from your gun choice, I was imagining you were planning on going deep.

I think you made a great choice in the gun for your purposes. Below is a photo of Riccardo Molteni, the famous Italian spearo known for hunting 30 meters and beyond with ease, from one of the Italian forums. Like you he also uses a Urukay 90. He seems to be using 2 17.5mm bands and a 130cm shaft... though it's hard to see if his gun is setup with a 7 or a 7.5mm shaft.

One other important thing I forgot to mention before: are you using 2 lead weights on the muzzle of your gun? Adding them there will help stabilize the gun during shoot and increase up and down accuracy... especially if you start setting up the gun with a thicker shaft. I use 2 weights on my 105 and 3 on my 120. You can see in the photo that Riccardo Molteni uses 2 weights on his 90.

I would definitely try 3 16mm bands before trying 2 19mm bands. You could use two bands for the smaller fish and 3 for the longer shoots. Though 2 19mm bands may fit and the trigger mechanism can handle them, I think they may not work so well when loaded since they are so thick.

:friday

Cheers,
Claudio

Attachments

• 1308146187.jpg
    1308146187.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 493
Reactions: Don Paul
Thanks ,I'll try all combinations to find the right one . I am using three weights ( and , as i see this photo , Molteni uses three too , because with 130cm and 7mm shaft with two weights the front is going up in the water ). This is first gun in my life ( and i am hunting 37 years till now ) that floats even with shaft on, but , i understood long time ago that you can always learn the new things. Something else , you misunderstood me that I go at 30m with ease . For example , today i went till 24 and i couldn't go one cm more . Yesterday i was around 20 , but , at good days 30 is reachable several times per day. It really depends on many things . Anyway , thanks .

No problem. Let me now what you end up choosing as a final setup for this gun.

It's hard to see on the photo I posted earlier, but Molteni is using 2 weights on that gun, not 3. It is easier to see more clearly on the zoomed photo below. I don't think you will need more than 2 weights. Unless you really hate or can't get used to the buoyancy of the gun.

It that's the case, you can also add some weight platelets to the handle and wrap it with bicycle chamber rubber. Part of the fun is finding the right setup for you. Good luck on your quest :)

Attachments

• muzzle_weight.jpg
    muzzle_weight.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 411
Hi, new to the forum, just bought a Urukay 120 in second hand, very impressive 120 speargun in fact!
Does anyone kno the thread size for these head weight? Thread may be a bit used on mine, I would like to be able to find something fitting well.
thanks!

Hi, new to the forum, just bought a Urukay 120 in second hand, very impressive 120 speargun in fact!
Does anyone kno the thread size for these head weight? Thread may be a bit used on mine, I would like to be able to find something fitting well.
thanks!

Hey Olivier. Drill some home made lead disks if you don’t already have them handy. It’s a fine thread stainless bolt if you are still looking for this PM me and I’llget some sent to you for your URUKAY. Use a heavy shaft with that gun it packs plenty of punch and is heavy so it can take it.

Reactions: mariusshobo
Hey Olivier. Drill some home made lead disks if you don’t already have them handy. It’s a fine thread stainless bolt if you are still looking for this PM me and I’llget some sent to you for your URUKAY. Use a heavy shaft with that gun it packs plenty of punch and is heavy so it can take it.

The recommended setup for this gun is a 7,5 mm shaft.

• Urukay 120: Shaft 7,5 mm, 170 cm. ( 3 notches), Bands - 16 mm x 700 mm + 16 mm x 680 mm + 16 mm x 660 mm

I wonder if it d handle anything bigger and what the band so has to be? What is your experience and setup?

Hi guys,
Kodama, my experience at the moment is very short because of :
1 bad weather, 2 then confinement, then heavily sharked area when I could put it in the water and unable to test it quietly (not easy to wrap nylon line on the gun with sharks in the fins!!).
Hope I will be able to play soon...!
Mark, regarding the thread in the head tip of the gun, I think the threading itself is probably damaged, I couldn't find the right sized bolt to fit... what is the exact size of the one you use?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT