• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

CAFA National Championships

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tom Lightfoot

Aug 21, 2001
Hi all,

Today is the first day of CAFA's Canadian National Freediving Championships in Vancouver. We have thirteen competitors, including several well-known denizens of DeeperBlue.

To see the starting schedule with everyone's name and announced performance check out http://www.freedivecanada.com/cgi-bin/comp_schedule.pl?event_id=38

To see the results as they come in, keep your eyes on
http://www.freedivecanada.com/comp/results/nationals2004/

Good luck to all competitors!

Tom Lightfoot
Webmaster
www.freedivecanada.com

Static results posted

Static results are now posted on the freedivecanada site. Everyone was trying very hard so there were some upsets unfortunately. The ever-consistent Eric Fattah was not upset though and came within two seconds of a new national record.

Constant Ballast is at Lions Bay tomorrow. This is the same place that we're holding Worlds a little over a month from now. Those results will be posted later that evening Vancouver time.

Tom

Good job Eric and everyone else. Best of luck in CB,
Erik Y.

Constant Ballast results

Hi Alun,

Both Eric Fattah and Peter Scott went without wetsuits for today's Constant Ballast. It didn't seem like such a ridiculous thing to do today because the weather was fabulous: Hot sunny day with flat, warm water at the surface. I think I spent over 4 hours in the water today with my 3mm suit.

Constant Ballast results are now posted on the freedivecanada website:
http://www.freedivecanada.com/comp/results/nationals2004/

Since the team selection for Team Canada takes into account Constant Ballast and Static, what you see right now is the nominal ranking for the selection of Team Canada. We have a 50-25-25 rule which takes into account people's reginal competiton scores if they have a poor score at Nationals. I haven't run those numbers yet so I don't know how the alternate score would affect the selection rankings, if at all.

Dynamic is on tomorrow morning at the UBC outdoor pool.

Tom Lightfoot
CAFA Vice President and Webmaster

Eric, Brent and Peter took the first 3 spots in CB: outstanding!
I wish I was there.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Congratulations Eric for your Static Performance (no wetsuit too?)

Until he responds himself....

Eric turned due to misweighting himself in a mix-up. He didn't realize he was sinking so slowly until somewhere around 60m, and upon reaching 70m, figured he was taking way too long to risk going much further. Upon surfacing he supposedly had lots of air left and probably could have made the dive easily. He later discovered he had been sinking at 0.55m/s and the dive took 2:45.

Anyhow this is the deepest dive performed at a competition in these waters. Congrats!

And no suit dives by Peter & Eric, although they were quite surprised when, even with all the excitement and interest about them diving with no suit, nobody seemed to be sold on the idea of taking part in this type of diving.

So thats about 2min ascent.... He must be diving pretty heavy if he is using weights when diving without suit. Do you know what kind of monofin he used?

Ulf,

I think you misunderstood me. He was sinking on the descent at 0.55m/s, which means he took over 1:30 to get down and probably around 1:05-1:15 to surface. So, he was underweighted and too bouyant. Fin used was his W1 custom waterway fin.

:duh yes i meant descent...I always say the opposite of what i mean...:duh My brain must be wired wrong... Any way I just calculated 74m / .55 = 135s = 2.15 min...how stiff are the W1?

Last edited:
Here's the story of my dive at the CAFA nationals.

Constant ballast day began, and although I had announced 83m, I only needed 27 points to win the combined event (static+constant), so I only needed around 58m in constant to get those points.

I had constructed a new weight 'device', I hesitate to call it a 'belt', it was one solid piece of lead which goes around your waist, with one joint and a buckle, much less drag than a belt, but still within AIDA regulations. I had wanted 1800g, but it only weighed 1130g--yet it was so perfect I had to try it!

My W2 monofin was cracked beyond repair, so I used the W1 mono, not my favourite.

I got into the water without my suit, 9 minutes before my official top.

I felt great at the start of the dive, and got to 30m without much effort, and did a huge mouthfill.

I started sinking, but due to the darkness, it was not obvious how fast I was sinking.

I waited for the 70m alarm from the apneist, and it wouldn't come. I sank forever, and actually started getting narked during the sinking phase, which only happens if I sink for a really, really long time.

Finally the 70m alarm went off and I heard the scuba divers at 70m shouting at me and shining their lights on the line.

I looked up and saw the plate with the 83m tag. If I got the tag it would be a new canadian record, but I knew internally that I had been sinking for far too long. I sensed that if I went for the tag, the dive would last for more than 3'00". Earlier, Tom (safety freediver) had asked the ancipated dive time, and I had told him 2'40 to 2'50". Doing a 3'00"+ dive was like russian roulette, and I had already won the competition by a large margin, so I couldn't justify going all the way down.

I turned around at 74.2m and started the ascent. As I reached Tom at 23m, I gave him 'ok' signs and realized I had tons of air left. I even slowed down near the end to time my 'float grab' perfectly. I reached the surface at 2'45" with tons of air left and was a bit frustrated I hadn't gone all the way down, but really there was no way to justify it since this was a competition and I had already won the competition with the 74m depth. Because the dive time was dead on target, Tom & Kirk thought I had reached the target depth when I encountered them at 23m right on schedule.

Diving without the suit always feels so wonderful and I always seem to have lots of air left. I'm pretty sure I have 95m in me with the correct ballast and my newly constructed W3 monofin.

We checked the profile later. Kicking down to 30m, my pace was good, but once I started sinking at 30m, it was at 0.55m/s, speeding up to 0.60-0.65m/s near the end, far too slowly. Sinking speed should be 0.75m/s-1.1m/s.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Peter's Article

Excellent review of the events Peter - made me really wish I had been there

looking forward to meeting you all and your dive site in just over three weeks...

Eric - no suit constant and yet from the photos it seems you wore a suit for the dynamic? I am puzzled!

Sam

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT