• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

california sheepshead

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well, I had one but it was on a floppy that died. However, to put things simply, the idea is to fillet and skin the fish, then wrap the fillets in cheese cloth and poach gently in fish or shrimpshell stock. When they're completely done, gently remove the fillets from the poaching liquid (which you should freeze because it gets better each time you poach a fish in it), unwrap from the cheesecloth and then treat the same way you would crab meat. Either make Louie or let it cool and put it in a salad or stuff some other fish with it or whathaveyou. Eventually, I'll get a chance to try it myself.

wow, thanks sarge sounds great! will have to go out and stick one this weekend and give it a try. thanks for your speedy reply

Sheephead is awesome cooked chinese style steamed. Tastes just like uhu/parrotfish in Hawaii.

1. Get nice sized sheephead and if too big to throw the whole thing in a steamer/large pot with water on the bottom get fillets with skin on one side minus scales. Start cooking white rice (Sticky kine not uncle bens)

2. Put as many pieces of diced ginger and chopped garlic in as you want for taste.

3. Steam till it is nice and tender and plump. I would say for 5 lbs of fish maybe like 10-12 mins. just check every once in awhile.

4. Take the fish out of pot keeping it in the bowl you steamed it in.

5. Pour some soy sauce/shoyu and a little bit of seaseme seed oil and some sherry. Cover with cilantro/chinese parsley and green onions. Heat peanut oil to the point of smoking and then pour over entire fish.

Put fish over rice and grind. Enjoy em braddahs.

Chris

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT