• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

californian spearing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

free-pole

Oct 27, 2004
hey i just started spearing i use a 6ft pole spear if there are any good spots in cali plz let me know and i freedive i cant really dive more than 40 feet

email me or message me. I go there a few times a week. It's great hunting and great for newbies... lots to see as well.

hey calispearo do u freedive or scuba and what fish do u go for out there cuz i went to shaws cove and only saw a few bat rays and speared like 4 or 5 corbina in like 3 to 5 feet of water but other then that nothing one more thing is do you use a pole spear or a speargun

Last edited:
hey calispearo i dont think i am going this weekend but im pretty sure im going to shaws on the weekend after this one so i u want to meet up there that would be great e-mail me is so

Sounds good. For Shaw's you have to go out in like 20-30 feet of water. on the wall on the right side as you go down the stairs. There's also the underwater caverns. I'll email you freepole.

And as for Headlands, nope. went to highschool in Canada. (Toronto)

I'll show you some great spots at Shaw's freepole.

AS for guns. I use a JBL carbine for deeper water and pole spear for the shallows. When you go deeper at shaw's, you can find calico, sheepshead, halibut (big ones) all sorts of fish. Corbina are usually in the breakers in less then 7 feet of water. You get a lot of surf perch too.

calispearo how old are you and I was swimming in like 40 feet of water and didnt see any thing but bat rays and the cali state fish righ there by the rock like 50 or so feet form shore on the right hand side of shaws then i saw a school of corbina in the wave break

23, and for the best fish you hae to swim through the caverns.

Fisherman's has better hunting though. and like you said... the Garabaldi are everywhere!!

Caverns are at the very end of the rocks on the right side of Shaw's. swim over the rocks. (drops from about 20 down to 4 feet of water. swim over that. and there are all these chanells in between rocks. there about 10 feet wide or less and about 15 feet deep. with Abs growing on the side, etc. (illegal to take anyway) when you swim past them your swimming over to crecent bay. Then there's Sealion rock right there.

ok and on that weekend (6-7) do you think you can go for sure cuz if you can go then i will go to but i have to get a new snorkle cuz i lost mine this last time i went but let me know if you can go

Welcome freepole. Here's some full-stops for you to use on your next few posts.
;)
Cheers,
Erik Y.

hey cali you have any pic's of fish you got from laguna and i will be there on the 6 or 7 if you go i will meet you at shaw's

Yup. i go with two friends and your more then welcome to join us. If you need another snorkle and don't want to spend the cash right away i have about 4-5 old U.S diver ones with Purge valves. I gave them up after i got the OMER Zoom Pro

No pics though. I'm bringing my Camera this time though. I plan on going this Sunday for a bit in the morning. I'll try to get some then.

ok kool i might take up up on the snorkle cuz i dont know if i can get one but ya i will be there next weekend and tell me how you did sunday

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT