• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Calling Welsh Spearos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Spaniard

Cider tester
Jun 22, 2005
Does anyone spear in the Fishguard/Newport area in Pembrokeshire? I have an invitation to stay in a cottage in early October. Are there likely to still be any bass about? Many thanks.

Sorry North Wales here but yes probably, they are up here then so cant see why not; unless of course, that 2000 strong pod of dolphins that was on last nights news has scared them all up here :D

Thanks for info. Do you reckon 5mm still OK for early October; I've dived Abersoch but that was during a hot August.

Yes 5mm be fine :) it would do me all year round, lol but then Ive dived under ice in a 4mm suit, guess I dont feel the cold

Should still be bass around in early october - I've caught them on Gower/South pembrokeshire that time of year before and water has been nice and warm this year. 5mm wetsuit will still be ok in october too. The main problem won't be fish/water temp though - that time year the swells start to arrive so I think vis will be your main problem - fingers crossed for the type of indian summer we've had in recent years and a nice calm spell :)

Thanks guys. 5mm it is and fingers crossed for viz !! Going with potential in-laws so catching a bass will gain me muchos lads points rofl

Alison said:
Yes 5mm be fine :) it would do me all year round, lol but then Ive dived under ice in a 4mm suit, guess I dont feel the cold

....Deeper Blue Beach Snoozer.....or...'Ice Queen'?

Spaniard,

Hell Yeah, I rate late Sept,Oct and early Nov as the best times for the larger Bass down that way.... I dont have any experience of spearing up there yet but have done lots of rod and line stuff. Fishguard and the surounding area are full of deeper water rocky marks with the area arround st davids having some shallower beach/reef spots. My tip would be to check out Newport and Nevern areas for some interesting creeks that are chock full of monster mullet and some large bass.

The others are correct though, water quality changes in a blink of an eye down that way with any swell or wind really messing up the vis. Fingers crossed for a calm spell with some light esterly winds! that should keep things tip top...

Good luck!
Ben

heya everybody, i am new to speardiving, and am going to pembroke next week, just by the newport/fishuard area, and willl try out speardiving with my dads old gun.
il let everybody know how it goes, and what the fish population is like.
i will no doubt spearfish in the gower at sometime in the near future seeing as im from monmouthshire.
wish me luck
readinguniguy

Hi
Check those old rubber bands out make sure they arent perished, if they are get in touch with Dave at www.spearo.co.uk asap so they dont snap and spoil our hols :)
And a warm welcome to deeper blue :) Have fun and good luck

Apart from common sense and dont shoot game fish (trout salmon) none really, have a look at the minimum sizes copied from http://www.nwsa.ukf.net/
Dab...................boat 8" shore 8"

Flounder............boat 10" shore 10"

Sole...................boat 10" shore 10"

Plaice.................boat 11" shore 11"

Mullet.................boat 13" shore 13"

Mackeral............boat 12" shore 12"

Pollack................boat 12" shore 12"

Garfish.................boat 15" shore 15"

Coalfish................boat 14" shore 14"

Ballan Wrasse.......boat 9" shore 9"

Bass.....................boat 16" shore 16"

Cod......................boat 14" shore 14"

Poor Cod..............boat 7.25" shore 7.25"

Whiting..................boat 10.6" shore 10.6"

Haddock...............boat 14" shore 12"

L/Spotted Dogfish..boat 18" shore 15"

Bull Huss...............boat 23" shore 23"

Spurdog................boat 23" shore 23"

Smoothhound........boat 20" shore 20"

Rays.....................boat 16" shore 16"

Conger Eel ...........boat 48" shore 36"

Silver Eel...............boat 15" shore 15"

John Dory..............boat 13" shore 10"

Tub Gurnard..........boat 11" shore 11"

Ling.......................boat 28" shore 28"

Rockling................boat 7.25" shore 7.25"

Pouting..................boat 10" shore 7.25"

Red Bream............boat 10" shore 10"

Black Bream..........boat 9.5" shore 9.5"

Brill........................boat 14" shore 14"

Went diving on this coast yesterday as there were strong SE wind which kills Gower good and proper but is offshore there. Started off at Gwbert which is close to the mouth of Tivy River but the estuary water was all over it - Looked like it would probably never be clear here - crossed off list!. Headed to nearby Mwnt and the slick form Gwbert was spoiling it there too - it was a really distinct slick, the sandy bay looked clear and there were dolphins but the river of dirty water was clipping the headland where the good ground was. Initially our plan was to head further East but we could see up the coast and there were browny patches in the blue - it looked like the tide alone was picking up sediment so we decided to go west instead. Ended up at a small bay just below Dinas head. Lovely quiet little bay with a nice little pub and a few fishing boats. Vis turned out ok but a bit milky maybe 4m. Started on the south of the bay where there was loads of good ground but there was very little fish life. Hardly any pollack and wrasse and not a sniff of bass. Decided to head round onto Dinas head where there was a rock sticking out which looked like it might have potential - trouble was it was about a mile away. Finally reached the rock and spotted a Bass lurking in the current ripping round but missed it from the surface and paid the price by having to re-load in the current. Managed to get a bass on the next dive but that was it. Long swim back and I think this was the longest swim for the least fish ever! I won't be heading back in a hurry as the lack of fish life in general didn't bode well.

Spaniard, when you head up to this coast I would reccomend you head as far west as possible for best chance of vis. Maybe on another day it would be better I just didn't get the feeling that I was onto anything special at any of the spots we checked.

Well two weeks holiday in west wales and as far as the spearing is concerned conditions were cr@p! windy, swelly and generally murky, however I did have a few good days and travelled around a little trying to locate some good vis with very little success. Found some interesting spots though. I would strongly suggest someone who can hold their breath and dive 10-20m should try the ledges either side of st brides haven. I can't hold my breath for love nor money and do all my hunting from the surface but i still managed 2 decent 4 lb bass. The water at st brides haven was crystal clear and a real pleasure to dive.....I spotted (not shot) the biggest ballan wrasse ever....a sure fire british record if caught on rod and line, maybe 12lb ish! Also went in at Tenby, Stackpole, st govans, Angle, West Dale, Little Haven, Whitesands, and several of the little coves north east of st Davids.

Highlight of the two weeks was finding a massive rockpool big enough to house me, my gun and a few hundred herring......Lets just say they were dead hard to shoot but well worth the effort..... got about 30 in 2hrs.

Graham, I did try twice to reply to your pm, but each time my computer crashed as tried to send.....so may try again this week although after two weeks off i'd better do some work first.....

Oh yeah, tried numerous rod and line antics over the past weeks with a little more luck.......but no bass!

ben

I went last Saturday, way too rough in South Easterly in Pembs. Going Thursday Pm and Friday Am this week again in west pembs. Fingers crossed for the Vis.
Ben, I've tried St Brides a few times but found it too shallow for the bigger fish, are the ledges off to the left and @ 20m ??. Also looking for scallops outside the marine reserve, not much luck so far.

Last edited:
Rob,
Like i said in another thread elsewhere, i do all my hunting from the surface but for the majority of the spots i hunt the bigger fish are in the closest. My experience this year is that the largest fish 8.5lb was shot in 60cm of water with all the 5's and 6lbers comming from water no more than 1.5m.

I really dont know how deep st brides is to the left of the bay, i know its deep because iv tried to anchor a boat there previously without sufficient rope! The 2 x 4lbs i took were from the base of the kelp just to the right of the bay at dead low tide with a water depth of 2-3m......

just goes to show eh!

ben

Ive done a lot of fishing in shallow water to Ben but ths year Ive found a new spot that demands deeper diving, not often more than 10m but still not on the surface. Give it a go, you'll find that fish will come to look at you rather than swimming around aimlessly just waiting for the chance encounter with a fish, it doesnt have to be that deep or that long either, 30 seconds at 3m is a start and it will catch you fish :)

Alison,

At the moment i find swimming arround the quickest way of learning. In my prefered locations the water maybe shallow but in shallow water fish are forced to take pre determined routes. Its at bottlenecks and bass super highways that i ambush them.

I must make a trip or two to north wales soon. My brother has just taken a job in Bangor so i should really pop up that way soon and bring my guns and kites.

Out of interest has anyone in wales got themselves a trigger fish yet this year. I managed one a few weeks back. Tasted fantastic, try one it if you find a bigish one!

ben

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT