• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

camo gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

harpune1

Harpunetti
Apr 8, 2004
will it help to paint my spear and the tip of it green so that fish wont see a the silver-coloured thing pointing out of the weed or might painting it red (or silver) makes them curious?? :confused:

could this work? I know from fishing that bass are extremely curious on spoons or neon rubber baits.

Reactions: stevevidar
I don't think painting your spear is that a good idea. if you shoot fish it might come off and stay in the fish.. not nice eating, it might also affect the aurodynamics of ths spear :S

just spraypaint couldn`t affect the hydrodynamic of a spear, i think. i wouldnt worry bout a bit of paint in a fish these days (mercury-levels):naughty

spray paint on your spear would have to have some efffect on the hydrodynamics of your spear. Unless you have a way of sanding and polishing the paint to a hard smooth surface.

I really don't think camo on your spear itself will have an effect either way. I have used polished shafts and those dull copper colored heat treated shafts over the reef and have not noticed a difference either way. I personally feel that swinging anything at a fish will spook it away. It could be a stick or polished shaft the result would probably be the same. The slip tip on my blue water gun is polished to a shine and I have not noticed any pelagic fish running away or staring at the shiny tip on my gun. Rather they are staring at my face trying to make eye contact. It's all about appearing to be non threatening and playing on the fishes natural curiosity to bring them in.

As a side note, I read some where that polished shafts shoot faster than the standard dull colored shaft. I also read of some people using olive oil or silicon lubricant on their shafts and gun tracts. To each his own but if a fish is sitting there within range, your shaft should be able to stick it regardless of polish, oil, lube or whatever. If it's swimming then lead the sucker a little and let the shaft fly. If it's that iffy of a shot then don't shoot. Play the game right and it really shouldn't matter about shaft color. Just MHO.

Brad

Last edited:
i use silicon grease on my 75 cm gun, and i notice the difference with or without it;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT