• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Camo suits are essential for spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
I was thinking about this subject today, so I'm creating this thread showing photos of fish taken on my boat just this year. When we get the frequent newbie posts asking if a camo suit is the way to go, or the post from a not-quite-newbie saying that camo is the only answer, I just want to be able to reply with the URL of this thread.

Of course all these fish are white sea bass, but I suspect that its true for other species.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 476
  • dam50:2.JPG
    dam50:2.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 457
  • Dam57.jpg
    Dam57.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 443
  • jake47.jpg
    jake47.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 440
and a few more.

Attachments

• IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Robin50:1.JPG
    Robin50:1.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 431
Reactions: Mr. X
may be a little more fashion over function i have both camo and black and i cant tell the difference both get me fish i think it depends more on the fisherman and his ability

agreed, i have noticed however with some fish it is noticably easier to get closer in camo than black, but it is still very possible.

i too own both, Custom black smooth skin and Omer ocean Mimetic.

DD

could as well be the species is more skiddish than some of the species i hunt and the camo gives u the extra couple seconds i can see that i think in some situations it may help but for a spearo to say its essential is kinda silly.(to tell u what im up against)i had the worlds smartest rockfish swim directly up to my spear and begin to chew on the flopper with the complete tip of the spear in his mouth i should have taken him out of the gene pool but he was protected maybe he knew.

• Love
Hmmm. Quotes by Bullwinkle and Vonnegut back to back. One rarely sees such a concentration of humanity's most brilliant minds. Rocky and Bullwinkle was the apex of Cartoon Television and one of the philosophical foundations of my life. Now, of course, we have Pokemon...etc..

I've been thinking about a 'safety camo' suit that would help repel boaters. Probably safety orange and green or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erik
Something not always considered, it may be camo to us, but why should we think it is camo to the fish. Many, if not most animals see in different wave lengths than we do. Deer don't see red. Maybe some camo looks like electric lights to the fish.

Of course, for Fondueset, we do know. Maybe electric chartreuse barred with bright pink?

Connor

Unless the spearo is hardly moving and tucked into the foliage, at only 20 feet away the fish can see you. It just doesn't have a concept of oncoming spear-shafts. Fish read posture and "I'm gonna kill you and eat you!" is a posture they have likely seen and used themselves.

Camo is ,however, VERY SEXY. In fact, after you have just squeezed into your camo suit don't you hope you get to be in the picture? And Wouldn't you want your killer to be dressed for the occasion? Shows respect

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. X and Erik
But you forgot my declaration in Spearing Vogue last season: "black is the new camo" (again) :D

I'm only partly kidding, I think black works quite well by not reflecting much light. I often hide in the shadows at the edge of a reef. I experimented with camo'ing my fins but any lighter coloured areas just catch my eye, especially if moving. I've also ditched the green camo Omer Alien mask in favour of the black-flanged X-lite combat (which admittedly has camo frames & sides:D), which merges in with the suit better; take a look at Omer's catalogue last year to see some striking examples of all black spearing get ups.

Octpora is right though, camo is just so damned sexy -- didn't we have a camo section in a bikini contest a couple of years back?:hmm What ever happened to that thread....

Last edited:
BTW Bill, how much do those bass typically weigh? Might have to block the images as offensively large hauls :D

Attachments

• p 157.jpg
    p 157.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 831
Bill - she appears to be naked:D. Wearing a fish:hmm - could be the new fashion, had a nice mullet dangling from my waist stringer this weekend (a different kind of camo).

So, kind of like catching (or missing) 10 x 4lb bass with one shot. One of those would probably do me for a season.

As for "Bad day for old men" -- it looks more like a very good day for old men to me:D A naked lady with only a fish to cover her modesty - & sexy camo wetsuits, catching monster fish for you. Must be awful. rofl Better post some pictures of a "Good day for old men" for comparison:D

Last edited:
If you are wearing a fish, you aren't really naked. However, it does take some special effort to get the slime off.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT