• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Camo wetsuit or regular wetsuit?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Camo certainly isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt either. I haven't heard of the brand of suit that you're considering, but it seems decent. Have you researched the company?

I think camo is just a marketing tool. There is nothing wrong with a camo suit, but your main priority should be other characteristics such as fit, flexibility, durability of seams, etc. It it happens to be camo too, fine.

The company where I get my custom suits made offers just black and green, and I don't think I'm at a disadvantage shooting fish.

Reactions: Spiderman
i use a camo suit. I see it more as a disruptive pattern then actual "camo". if I could do it over again i think I'd get one of those Red/black blochy ones I see some of the Med spearos wearing. makes a lot of sense. you'll never see the red at depth, but you're nice and visable on the surface.

Reactions: Spiderman
Looking at it from the perspective of a hungry shark, I would rather be in a camo wetsuit than a black "look like a seal" wetsuit.

Looking at it from the perspective of a hungry shark, I would rather be in a camo wetsuit than a black "look like a seal" wetsuit.

A lot of people say that, but for what its worth, the Great White that decapitated Randy Fry on its taste test went by a guy in a camo suit to get to him, in a black suit.

My buddy dives in a camo suit and it's definitely more difficult to differentiate him from the surrounding reef than othher divers wearing solid colour suits of any colour.

Camo is cool! Image is everything in spearfishing, come on lol! j/k , but I do have a black suit and a camo suit. In my black suit I feel like a ninja, in my camo suit I feel like a piece of kelp ;)
With a fish's lateral line and hearing, I don't think for 1 minute that they aren't aware I'm there no matter what I'm wearing.

I guess the question then is whilst spearing do you prefer feeling like a ninja (with nerves of steel and finely tuned senses), or a piece of kelp (at one with nature but not really able to do all that much by way of hunting)?

tee hee

Haha, somedays I wonder if I shouldn't just sit in a camo boat and throw dynamite!

Reactions: Kolthar
My buddy dives in a camo suit and it's definitely more difficult to differentiate him from the surrounding reef than othher divers wearing solid colour suits of any colour.

But are you a fish? It seems that everyone assumes that a fish's eyes and brain are wired like ours are, and I doubt that is true.

With a fish's lateral line and hearing, I don't think for 1 minute that they aren't aware I'm there no matter what I'm wearing.

Exactly. And I'm convinced that many times, fish come to check me out BECAUSE they know I'm there.

Reactions: Erik
I'm having Camo wetsuit but for fashion reasons only rofl. You can even spear a fish without a wetsuit. It's nice to look different from others so when it comes to taking photos or videos, you know where you are. So i make sure i have a camo color combination that only i will have from fins to suit to gloves and booties.rofl

Sorry for my lame excuse of having a camo wetsuit:friday but i'm only a newbie so my reasons doesnt countrofl.

But are you a fish?
Not the last time I checked.... :)

It seems that everyone assumes that a fish's eyes and brain are wired like ours are, and I doubt that is true.
Seems everyone assumes they know what someone else was assuming when they were merely making an observation about how visible their buddy is in camo compared to others. What the fish think, see, feel or do about it wasn't a part of the commentary.

Exactly. And I'm convinced that many times, fish come to check me out BECAUSE they know I'm there.
Without wanting to assume that I have any idea how a fish thinks, I'd also probably come check you out if I was a fish and heard you were in the water. Just to see :)

OK, I should known better than to reason with people who have faith in God, or faith in camo wetsuits. There is no scientific evidence for either, but true believers just have the gift of faith. I'll shut up.

I guess the bright side is that I can take more credit for all those fish I've shot wearing solid black suits. If I can overcome a handicap like that, I must be even better than I've tried to tell everyone I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: strangelove
That was just too easy...

Incidentally I don't necessarily believe in God or camo wetsuits. Or that the fish care much for either. I merely observed that to my eye my buddy stands out less against the reef than most other divers.

I honestly don't think it makes that much difference to the fish what you dive in, especially when he's on the end of your spear :)

I have an Omer titanum black color, recently camoflaged it with brown, green and lighter brown and some mixed colors. I tried it and the results were.....amazing!
I felt that fish were coming closer not bec they dont feel me there, however to see the interesting colors :) and the result is...more fish end of the day.

friends of mine are wearing white shirts to attract fish from the bottom...

the topic will always be open whether to wear camo or not...

i finally bought the new Omer Brown... a very cool one too...i feel blended down at the bottom...

Cammo is only for people who want to hide in the bush from nature conservation officials. rofl
It all comes down to the signals the diver sends out. be relaxed, fish come in. Be on edge is like having a sign in neon saying come here I want to shoot you.
I quite regularly shoot skittish fish like Green Jobfish (Aprion viriscens) and dive with a plain black suit. A good bottom time also helps a bit too, hehehe.
As for looking like a seal? Ave height 5'8", 3' fins, 1.3m Rob Allen with 1.9m spear gives a total length of almost 4m. :naughty
Sharks don't see pointy metal/carbon fibre bit, juicy tender bit and carbon fibre flappy bits. It sees a 4m+ entity with attitude. :martial

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT