• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Can a bent spear be fixed?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 3, 2021
Missed a fish, hit a rock. Does it have any remedy? Or should I just get a new one?
20210903_153830.jpg

Being bent at the weak point of the flopper pivot pin hole means that if you straighten it then it may snap at that location at some future time. You could cut the end off and have the shaft threaded to accept a screw on tip. Heating the shaft to anneal it and then straighten it followed by retempering is more of a blacksmithing task and may not be worth the effort. Shafts can be cut down, repointed and re-floppered for use in smaller guns, so you don't necessarily have to throw it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: CurrentlyFishing
For what it's worth, if this is the only spear you have, then just get a new one, and still attempt to straighten this one to keep as spare. Always worth having a spare in my opinion.

For what it's worth, if this is the only spear you have, then just get a new one, and still attempt to straighten this one to keep as spare. Always worth having a spare in my opinion.
That's a fair point. I did already buy a new one, but also kept the old one cuz I felt I could use it later on for whatever. A spare spear is a really good idea

Yes, I learned the hard way to always bring a spare spear. It's very frustrating to spend a couple hours getting to the dive area and lose a spear on the first shot and then have to go home.

You should probably try. It is really unusable and will be super inaccurate with that type of bend. Possibly place in a vice and use a heavy narrow metal pipe over the tip and try to carefully bend back. If it snaps, I will sell you another ...

Reactions: marco15499
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT