• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

can chlorine eat through sealed lead pouches?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

seaflower

May 13, 2013
hello community,

maybe someone can shed light on this.

I'm using a weight belt with soft cordura pouches filled with lead shot.
Normally, those are securely sealed, so nothing can leak/seep out, but I'm a lot in chlorinated water, and I know chlorine eventually eats through all fabrics.
I'm worried the pouches might get eaten through by the chemical and then leak toxic lead.
Anyone knows if this is a thing? Or an estimate how much time it would be safe to use before having to exchange the pouches for new ones?

I asked the seller, but he didn't respond. Probably doesn't know either :p
I have a belt with solid weights just in case, but those really do hurt after a while as they're inflexible.

"Leak toxic lead", are you a millennial by any chance? Where do stand on lead flashing or the lead on church/cathedral roofs? Or the lead water mains that my father-in- law insists are still in use in many parts of the UK.

Most lead dive weights are just uncovered moulded lead, and not a problem in normal use. The packs you use (and I use in my weight vest) are likely only intended to hold the lead shot securely rather than hermetically. Chlorine does tend to rot things and spilling lead shot, esp. in a pool would be messy and wasteful. If that is your concern, perhaps you should consider using moulded weights? Not sure how lead reacts with chlorine (any chemists out there?). But, as long as you are not planning to ingest the lead somehow, I don't see a problem.

Lead was used for water pipes from Roman times until quite recently (and perhaps still is - see above). Not ideal but apparently not that bad either.

BTW Wiki says lead chloride is only poorly soluble in water.

Mr X. - Water from lead pipes is indeed a hazard - particularly to small children. Studies have shown exposure to lead can lead to impaired metal function and nervous system disorders.

Indeed, when ingested. That's why lead house paints have been banned for the last approx. 50 years and lead in petrol (esp.4*) for only slightly less time. BTW my father - in- law reckons lead paints were brilliant, much better than modern paints, except for the toxicity.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT