• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Can I drill a carbon barrel?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dustin

Aug 15, 2002
I have a rabitech stealth 110 with the carbon barrel. I have had the Omer pelagic reel on it for 6 months now. The reel is just clamped onto the barrel with some tape under the metal. The reel slips around a little bit, but Im afraid of clamping it down too tight and cracking the barrel. A friend with a rob allen and the same reel drilled a hole through the reel clamp, and the aluminum barrel and put a bolt in. Would that be safe on the carbon barrel of my gun?

Thanks for you help guys
Dustin

Be careful of drilling carbon fibre since its strength comes from the fibrous structure. Weaken one part and you weaken the whole section. Thats why dents are so bad for a CF gun.

And yeah, you were right in not overtightening the clamp. Crush the barrel and youve got major problems!

Very true. Envision the carbon fiber being just that-one long-ass fiber. You chew it and the whole nut goes...

That's a gross over simplification, but you get the idea. Before you go and pin the clamp with a bolt through it, remove a tiny bit of the clamp's mating surface by sanding them on a flat piece of glass or something hard and flat. This'll let you take an extra turn on the clamp's nut when you reassemble and having a wrap of electrical tape under it is a good idea to reduce any electrical cheddar happening.

sven

Originally posted by icarus pacific
it is a good idea to reduce any electrical cheddar happening.
I love it when you get technical!:D

Im assuming Sven means preferential corrosion...

So it looks like drilling is a bad idea. Thats what I thought.

Icarus, which part of the clamp are you talking about filing off? Are you familiar with the omer reel? On the part of the clamp that comes off the reel there is a bent tab that is under the bolt. Is that what you are talking about cutting down?

Dustin

Originally posted by Shadowkiller
I love it when you get technical!:D QUOTE]

Don't tease me...;)

Yeah, Dustin, taking off a bit of that tab will allow you to clamp it tighter. Funny, but I don't have this problem with my wood guns :king

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT