• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Can I get freediving lessons/buddy in Maldives?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Siku

Sep 23, 2010
I'm probably going to be there in Feb with some scuba/yoga buddies and I'm wondering if there's anybody teaching there or people I can get together with just so I'm not the only one who wants to lose the tanks.

Feel free to PM me, thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Siku - where in the Maldives are you going? I was there last Jan - some resorts operate a 'snorkelling centre' so your best bet is to ask there. They run daily snorkelling trips and some snorkelling guides are pretty decent freedivers (not all!) so if you tell them that you'll be freediving they will look after you... Do make sure they are good freedivers themselves though as most snorkelling guides won't be - also you can usually leave your name on the noticeboard and say you are looking for a Freediving buddy, there's bound to be someone!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: rascolor
Thanks Simos. Where did you go and what did you find?

I don't know where I'm going yet - wherever the freediving opportunities are! I'll certainly take your advice, but as I'm a newbie I could do with something as structured as possible. Still - its a few months away so maybe I can learn what I need to here in the UK...

Its encouraging that you say there'll definitely be people about!

Hi Siku - I went to an island called Kuredu. I'm sure there are better diving spots in the Maldives although the house reef was decent (for the Maldives, by normal standards it was amazing) and there were 2-3 daily snorkelling trips by boat to nearby islands/dive sites. They were even offering Freediving lessons - I took one out of curiosity and to try and hook up with other freedivers - I don't want to comment on the lesson/instructor but let's just say that they are not really freediving instructors and the lessons not Freediving lessons lol
I did come across groups of freedivers at the airport and saw some people walking around the island with cressi garas so there are about. Just keep in mind that no matter how much progress you make you'll still need at least a buddy - totally agree on trying to find something structured... Maybe a live-aboard?
If the primary reason for your trip is to improve your Freediving, you might be better off considering Egypt - I would really recommend not booking until you find out about the club holidays - going away with a Freediving club and proper instructors is going to make a massive difference to your Freediving and it's lots of fun :)
Posted via Mobile Device

By the way, as a holiday destination the Maldives were awesome - most of the reefs/marine life is really shallow (less than 10m) so you hardly need to freedive, I was quite happy snorkelling most of the time with some shallow dives to take the odd photo or get a closer look at something. The manta rays were kind enough to come meet us at the surface, so no need for much Freediving there either! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT