• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

can of worms (speargun question)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

calispearo

Oct 27, 2004
I was wondering if anybody had any information or advice. I live in Southern California and i need a good all round "meat and potatoes gun" I hunt mostly in reefs and kelp beds in about 20-30 foot water and deeper. (as shallow as 15 sometimes)

I will purchase a blue water gun later but i was wondering what would be a better gun for my purpose, a Riffe Mid-handel gun (probly hawaiian or No Ka Oi) or a railgun, i was looking at the picasso Century pacific railgun or a RA or Rabitech.

Visibility is usually good where i hunt, usually around 15-30 feet. If anyone has any advise on what would be a better gun to start with it would be appreciated.

Also if anyone knows anything about the PIccasso Century Pacific that would be appreciated (there new Railgun)

( So i guess i can sum it all up by...... Eurogun or American gun)...... **The can of worms opens**

It's not so much a can of worms as it is a potential bucket of sh*t when everyone gets there 2centavos in and then the smack begins... :D

You've already done the hard part- that is realizing your area and the intended usage. Doing the reefs and kelp thing means not needing a fully ballasted and enclosed track 70" cannon.

The choices you listed are all great guns and you may want to add a hybrid to it. Mid handle ease of swinging and band stretch (power) in a compact package that won't have you unfouling it from the kelp at every patch. You can do a lot worse than a Wong here. Something in the neighborhood of 42-48" inches will let you pop calicos, halibut and yellowtail and white seabass with smooth style and a minimum of too much gun for the viz. :head

I'll send you a PM with some more info on some stuff I have available.

I have three Riffes (so that's what most of my experience is with). Some good first guns/good all around guns would be be a Riffe C2 or C2S or a Standard 2 or 3... I have a Hawaiian and it would be a fine choice (IMO: A No Ka Oi might me a bit too large for a SoCal shore/reef gun). IMO: You shoudn't live in Southern California without owning a Riffe. ;)

I live in OC, work (too much) in *#*#* and often dive @ Reef Point or elsewhere in CCSP.

Last edited:
Go to www.spearboard.com/forum and look for information on Riffes. Don't get me wrong I've been a Riffe owner for 10 years. Decent guns, but that's it. Definitely overpriced. There's better out there.

I live 1 hour south of Tustin so that would classify my being in So Cal. Just because he lives in So Cal does not mean he should buy a Riffe. Now I know you didn't mean this literally. You should go out and try different guns. I don't think you'd still shoot Riffe if you did. I live in America but would I ever buy an American car? Hell no.

The best way to do it is to go out and try guns. I have 18 guns if you want to try them you can go on my boat one day. A Plethora of spearguns but only a few of them are as you called "bread and butter" 1-2 punch guns.

subtle plug there...

As for the woodwork, it is a semi production gun. There will never be a perfect wooden gun unless you spend endless time working and sanding and then never take it out.

Do you really think a railgun is more manuverable than a midhandle hybrid? Do you REALLY want others to believe that a rabbitech has less recoil than a hybrid, especially the magnum series? Do you really think they are more accurate? The only factual things you posted were the prices of your guns.

the real resaon the hybrid is manuverable is the mid handle...though the pipe front does reduce resistance.

rigdvr said:
subtle plug there...

As for the woodwork, it is a semi production gun. There will never be a perfect wooden gun unless you spend endless time working and sanding and then never take it out.

Do you really think a railgun is more manuverable than a midhandle hybrid? Do you REALLY want others to believe that a rabbitech has less recoil than a hybrid, especially the magnum series? Do you really think they are more accurate? The only factual things you posted were the prices of your guns.

the real resaon the hybrid is manuverable is the mid handle...though the pipe front does reduce resistance.

I own both. And it is more maneuverable. Apparently you have never used a eurogun. If you don't know, don't post, otherwise it shows your idiocy. I've gone diving with Erik and let him use my Wongs. If you know nothing about how to maneuver a midhandle gun (hint: one hand on handle, one hand on butt), you would note that the only thing different about a rear handle and midhandle is in how you maneuver it. Of course if you're one who thinks you maneuver a rear handled gun only from the rear with ONLY one hand, you have a lot to learn. As I posted in another post, the best use the best. My magnum hybrid still does have recoil.
And my Rabitech has less recoil.
And yes it is more accurate.

I don't know what you are talking about, have you ever shot both and pool tested both? I have.

Any more questions?

-Eugene

8 posts and youre gonna bust my chops? I have a euro gun. I dont like it. I said it was my personal choice as is using a euro gun to you.

More accurate to you...less recoil? unless you have put longer or weaker bands on your railgun I am having a hard time believing that it has less recoil than a ballasted gun with a semi enclosed track...

The best use the best? The best at what? Shooting small competition fish? Not my bag. Most of the fish taken in major international competition I wouldnt even draw down on. Now if you are talking about the best trophy hunters...better regroup.

I do have another question...since you tried to use it on me on the other thread...have you read all MY posts? If you had you would know I have said if I could have one and only one gun for everything it would probably be an RA...luckily I have a gun for the reef, a gun for the rigs, a gun for the deep rigs and a gun for the blue.

Ive seen know it alls like you come and go from this site plenty of times over the years...

I also think Erik knows he stepped over the line a little now that he is pushing a line...at least I hope he does.

No, I did not read all your posts, but you replied on my other posts, so you should have read it in its entirety.

There is no SINGLE GUN for all applications, this I will agree with, having spearfished for over 20 years. I have taken fish in excess of 100 lbs with a Eurogun. Oh, single band. So did Ron Mullins when he took his WR Marlin. So did defthecrown when he took his WR Drum. The list goes on and on.

Erik...I have never had a problem with any of your other posts but you have always been much more fair in them. In this one you state personal findings as fact which I did have a problem with...as for this other yahoo, he proves my point. He cant even admit that others might be better off with different guns.

What gun did Mullins use to shoot his WR yf tuna?
WR Bluefin tuna
WR Red Snapper?
WR wahoo?
WR AJ?
None of these were taken with euro guns
just like your list...this one could go on and on as well
This just shows YOUR ignorance...you cant even see that a coin has 2 sides.
Like a great gun maker has always told me
"Its not the arrow, it's the indian." Daryl Wong

Oh yeah,
Erik, I have shot a rabbi before. Aquiles let me handle his and I thought they were well made guns. I have never denied their abilities. In the right hands they are as deadly as any other speargun but I think the "Indian" plays a bigger role in that equation. I just dont like them for my style of shooting.

Rigdiver I obviously know that a coin has two sides? Yet YOU discredit Euroguns and imply that they cannot trophy hunt and they can only shoot "small competition fish". You know yourself that this is a ludicrous statement.

Anyway, keep shooting your hybrid. Fun sport turned sour by the likes of you and Billy Mac.

Just like your statement that "the best use the best" or "90% of all competitive divers use..." once again, two sides to the coin and just as ludicrous. It seems as though you arent reading all my posts...please review the two above and check to see if I state my preference as fact.

I will keep shooting my hybrid...it works for ME

Last edited:
heheh this is funny... one shop owner/operator/random advertiser and a someone who thinks he's the best because he uses the best?

And then theres Rig, someone with heaps of experience and no ulteriour motives...

Lay down mezaire really... rofl

If you take gun X (a euro), chuck a 20mm band on it, then take that same band and put it on Gun Y (a Riffe that weighs twice as much), then Gun Y will have less felt recoil. First year physics stuff...

btw I use a RobAllen, my Riffe stays at home usually... :cool:

icarus pacific said:
It's not so much a can of worms as it is a potential bucket of sh*t when everyone gets there 2centavos in and then the smack begins... :D

Told you.

...and then there's Shadowkiller with his posterior motives... rofl

icarus pacific said:
...and then there's Shadowkiller with his posterior motives... rofl

Posterior, anterior, ulteriour, interior, exterior, Sven don't care... :hmm

But I'm still the best because I use a euro gun! Aren't I? :mute

rofl

I'd just like to say i had the pleasure of meeting erik in person.

I'v taken a look at the Rabbitech guns in person with him and i'll probly end up purchasing one on monday. As a reef\hole gun. The "80 Stealth. Or perhaps the 120 Carbon stealth as a Bread and butter gun. I probly will get a RIFFE too or an Alexander. I want a wooden mid\handel gun. I can't find any WONG dealers around here and don't want to wait a few months. If i come across a 50-55 inch Wong i'd buy it though.

Erik was more then helpfull and not just trying to make a buck. I'v heard a lot of good things about him and Rabbi in general.

As for Spearingfish, Thanks for your imput. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and i don't think you should be jumping down Rig Dvrs's throat for excersising his. Ask 10 people which gun they love and you'll get 10 different answers. I KNOW I'V ASKED TONS IN THESE THREADS, LOL (thanks for being patient with me guys)

(Erik, sorry i didn't respond to your email. Just got it now. I went out of town for a coupple of days)

Thanks dude!! I took down my post as it was igniting some controversy. This is my fault. Sorry for any controversy I caused.

Best,

Erik Sun

This is from Tim, Int'l distributor of Rabitech:
I have been following the discussion concerning (speargun question) with interest. As the International Distributor for Rabitech, I would like to make it clear that I have no intention of using this forum as a marketing/ promo tool for Rabitech. My reply is from my personal experience as an active spearo:

I agree, that there is no "single" gun for the job. One would use different length guns, rubber and spear combinations for reef diving, cave diving, competitions and blue water hunting. The species of fish you are targetting, even currents and surf condition have an impact on how you rig your equipment. In essence, a range of guns for each condition would be 1st prize. The brand or style of gun I would say depends on the user. If you are comfortable using wooden guns, then use them. If you feel comfortable using Euro style guns then use a Euro style gun. Results largely depend on the ability of the spearo, and to a lesser extent the product being used. Of course you would use the right equipment/ rig for the job, be it Euro or wooden guns.
There are merits and disadvantages for both. It really is not my place to say which is better.

In terms of having the ability to land WR Pelagic species. Pick up any spearfishing magazine from around the world and you'll see noteable pelagic and reef species being landed with Euro style spearguns/ equipment, not to mention the numerous WR taken." As long as the speargun is rigged correctly, (correct floats, spear, rubber combinations, right length barrel etc...) then it is not debateable that Euro speargun have the ability to land any size fish.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Tim Theunissen
SA Spearfishing Supplies
International Distributor - Rabitech
tim@spearfishing.co.za

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT