• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Canad Saudi Style

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Amphibious

Working Class Spearo
Mar 17, 2002
For all of us who can't get out hunting:

so I'ts day 5 and still NO LUGGAGE..... as my guns are stuck in Kuwait (so they tell me) I decided to do some rod and Reel fishing. I know I know, TERRIBLE!

I have been hunting "Canad" ever since I started spearfishing with no luck. have only ever seen 3 and never close enough for a shot. they're very spooky and elusive.

I caught this badboy today on 20lb test in about 6ft of water, took 25mins to get him in. Shore fishing - no boat. A real piss-off that I didn't hunt him, but i'm not complaining. This is the Arabian version of Wahoo, the Local name is Canad. and he was DELICIOUS!

Oh yeah - just over 10kg. And I've been told my guns will be in tomorrow - so hopefully more pictures!

Willer

Last edited:
The nasty end. got lucky- only had a 45lb mono leader.....

Last edited:
Damn man, that's sweet!!! :eek:

Nice fish, must have been a heck of a fight. What were you using for bait?

I was using a small "Little Cleo" spoon in green/silver - I bought it in Canada. It's Marketed as a trout spoon, but it's killer in Saltwater. one of my favorite lures ever. was just casting out maybe 50ft from shore with a med.fast retrive. Bigboy there stopped it cold and started heading for Iran - took half my spool before I turned his head. was expecting 4lb Talangs, never thought he'd be there. soooooo shallow.

Willer

Maybe you should buy a big lot of those spoons & make a flasher line for your float to bring these bad boys in ;)

Take a pic of the spoon if you get a chance, I'm intrigued :hmm

looks exactly like my local king mackeral...or an aussies spanish mackeral...regardless, nice fish...definately a mackeral:D

fuzz, locally we primarily troll spoons on charters. The most common spoon is the Drone Spoon, but there are many. Anything that swims in the G. of M. will hit them! They range from 1" to 9" or more and are just a basic spoon with colored reflective tape on one side.

they would be very easy to make a flasher out of and I am currently working on one made from spoons with bent hook from my boat which are now worthless for trolling...I might even make one for my "krazy keys kompanion";)

I used to make flashers out of the dorm cafeteria silverware. :eek:

Works great & easy to slip a couple reflective tape covered utensils into a wetsuit fold to throw ahead of travelling fish. :D

Yeah , Rig ; looks like good ole scomberomorus commerson ; what you guys call spanish mackerel and we in SA for some mysterious reason call king mackerel ...
:duh

Personally don't much like fishing with lures/spoons ect . I normally use a little "flickstick" to get some small Bonnies , then liverig these for a nice slow trawl into the current .
Double your pleasure ...:cool:
Also requires a bit more skill , making the reward even bigger . Well , at least thats my take on it ...;)

fishing on "my" time I usually use live bait and fish for bigger fish, but with 80% of my charter trips its more "entertainment". They are more interested in catchng lots of fish over a few bigger fish and there is no easier way to do that than with spoons...plus I can get an angler of any skill level to catch fish this way...many of the people I take out have never been on the ocean before...some have never seen it! Oh, the things we take for granted:cool:

That would be a king here BTW...our spanish are small(1-8#) and have orange spots on them...great marlin bait!

Originally posted by rigdvr
I usually use live bait

me too, so when we get together in April, slash your ankles or something and I'll hold back and see what shows... :cool:

sven

Originally posted by icarus pacific
me too, so when we get together in April, GRAB your ankles or something and I'll hold back and see what shows... :cool:
sven

:yack

as long as it's not your HYBRID PIPE GUN!

leave it to you guys to turn a perfectly harmless thread into something about 'Pipe".

great....:duh

Fuzz - I'll post pic of the lure tomorrow.

Willer

Amp,

In my county, we called it Tenggiri (local ) or Spanish Mackerel. It is yummy...yummy.

Damn right Murat - was a gooooood! BBQ!

he're the pic of the lure: "Little Cleo"

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT