• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cancun Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

aquamancancun

Feb 27, 2006
Hello All,
Just signed up, so this is my first post. I am looking for freediving partner (s) in Cancun, where I live. Drop me a line if there is interest!

Welcome on Board aquamancancun

OPPSS! where is cancun ? is an island ? :D

Welcome aquamancancun! If you don't get a response, check out the 'find a buddy' part of cancun. You could also check out DB's link to Frappr, or do a forum search on 'cancun'. Good luck, and welcome :).

island_sands said:
Cancun is in Mexico... :) :p
Thnx Sara ..
it loks like mixed techila name
salt+lemon+techile....stayed in dreams!
1 bottle 50$ HUGE expensive here rofl

salt+lemon+tequila = :yack for me :(

although i can survive various body shots :p

island_sands said:
salt+lemon+tequila = :yack for me :(

although i can survive various body shots :p

We went on a cruise once where the crew had super soakers (massive pump action water guns) full of tequlia. There were blind people everywhere - some were blind drunk coz the cruise staff could aim properly, the rest were just blind coz most of the time the tequila went straight into the eyes. :hungover

Man that stuff stings!

Cancun is an island connected to the mainland by bridges in the Mexican Caribbean. Crystaline water all year!

Last edited:
Hi Aquamancancun,

Welcome to DB. You have some class A water around you, but I've never heard from a freediver or spearo about what the reefs look like, depth, vertical relief, fish, etc. Anything like Coz? How about a description.

Connor

The continental shelf limits depth to 90 ft max, unless you go on the other side of Isla Mujeres, where it drops to 5oo+ fathoms . Similar to Cozumel in water clarity, but reefs are found in patches. Not unusual to see porpoises, eagle rays, and sharks. In late summer, there are a lot of whale sharks migrating through. Now if I could just find someone to freedive with!!

Last edited:
I live in San Pedro, California and will be vacationing in Cancun in December. I would be interested in doing some Freediving and maybe getting a qualification while there. Do you know if there is any opportunity for this?

Two memories among many from Cancun: freediving with huge "familiar" cubera snappers at Xel Ha and in underground crystalline/ cool rivers in some spots ...

Last time I was in Cozemel, I took the ferry over to Cancun and did some snorkeling from the beach, but could not find any depth anywhere near shore. Then took a cab over to Tulume and did some diving in the crystal clear fresh water in the cenotes. Absolutley amazing. They drove us through a jungle to a hole in the ground and climbed down a 30 foot ladder into a cavern with bats flying around. They have a dive platform setup with lights in the middle of the cavern. Then you dive through the passage ways and view the underwater stalagtites and staglagmites. There were even crystal clear minnows and crayfish. At a depth of 50 feet there was a hexacline where the saltwater meets the fresh and forms seperate layers. They was another large opening of the cavern at the far end for swimmers and snorkelers to enter and swim around. They had some parts closed off while we were there because they were shooting an Imax film.

Ok,
enough persuasion for me. I'll come over! :wave

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT