• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Can't Break 2 min

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

caribadive

Jan 27, 2006
I have tried and tried but I can't break a 2:15 breathold. I even bought and Air Restricting device. Any tips would be greatly apreciated.

One of the most impartant factors to furthering breath-hold times is relaxation. If music helps you relax, listen to it (for dry statics anyway. I prefer Beethovens "Moonlight Sonata"). Also think about your comfort. Position in the water or, again, if its a dry static, laying on your bed, couch, etc. whatever is the most comfortable postition. I find that during dry statics, I tend to get hot later in the static, so I keep a sheet over me, then once I start heating up, I calmly move it off and continue. For wet statics, (besides fomr making sure you have someone watching you for safety) make sure the body of water is at a comfortable temperature, preferably slightly on the cool side, but not so much that you are shivering. There maybe be some things I have missed, hopefully others will fill them in. But remeber, be safe!

Ike

What is your routine? how do you breath up? how many consecutive holds? how long have you been doing it?

Strange. Have you tried the tolerance tables? I'm doing the tables regulary and I see significant improvements. A few weeks ago was my max breath hold about 1:40, now it's 2:45.

The book "Manual of freediving" is very helpfull in this aspect. I have been practicing different relaxation techniques and the book has really helped me to find what works for me. I went from 3:00 min breath holds to a little over 5:00 breath holds using these different relaxtion techniques. The one I use most often or find that works the best for me is where I picture myself when I was younger playing with the my friends and just being a kid. This totally seems to take over my brain during the apnea and I lose track of time.

I forgot to mention also, that sometimes having the stopwatch in hand to check out your time can help. The key is not to check it to soon. If you check it to soon you will look at the time and just say "forget it" and let out your breath. The key is to look at the stopwatch right when you are about to release your breath and then seeing the time will help you keep the breath in a while longer. There has been times where the watch has helped me hold my breath over a minute longer than when I originally was about to let my breath out.

i use a front mounted snorkel with a little bit of the end tapped off.. that helped me increase..

also someone here gave me the tip to hold my breath while walking for dry dynamic sorta training.. that helped a lot too.

good luck!

i use spearfishing video for training when buddys go down to the bottom
i start and imagine(dont know if this is righr word)i am with him at the water
i have kids so icant do exersizes daytime kids noise during a hold
make me feel like having little electrick shock and times are not good
so relax and dont think too much of the time concenreata for
the peaceful fiiling
i have done 3.41min and i did feel good physically and mentally
but one day it did go down to 2min because there was too many things to
worry about
i am beginner too so i talk just what i have done

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT