• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Carbon vs. Fiberglass Fin Durability?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FreeDivingJake

Mar 13, 2012
Hello all,
I was just wondering the differences in durability between carbon and fiberglass in a fin. I know carbon is pretty tough material. But how does it compare to fiberglass?

Durability wise the difference is quite small. Carbon is stronger, but has fewer layers than fibreglass (for an equivalent stiffness), so it pretty much evens it out in my opinion - but personally I would go for carbon over fibreglass

Durability wise the difference is quite small. Carbon is stronger, but has fewer layers than fibreglass (for an equivalent stiffness), so it pretty much evens it out in my opinion - but personally I would go for carbon over fibreglass
Thanks kkdavids. That helps me out a lot.

Carbon is stiff, really strong, and breaks suddenly if pushed too hard. When it goes, its sudden and often complete. I prefer glass, although I use both, along with plastic.

Carbon is stiff, really strong, and breaks suddenly if pushed too hard. When it goes, its sudden and often complete. I prefer glass, although I use both, along with plastic.
Thanks hteas. I mainly dive in caverns (very rocky). But I don't push off the bottom with my fins or anything. Surface scratches don't bother me at all.

I prefer glass. In my opinion, CF is only superior for uses where strength to weight ratio is critical, like in aircraft. For diving fins, glass is inert and therefore better if it gets scratched, as it will not wick water and delaminate the fibers from the matrix. The energy return from both materials is excellent, but i think many people derive a placebo effect from CF simply because they think it is better. Really, it is just more expensive.

I prefer glass. In my opinion, CF is only superior for uses where strength to weight ratio is critical, like in aircraft. For diving fins, glass is inert and therefore better if it gets scratched, as it will not wick water and delaminate the fibers from the matrix. The energy return from both materials is excellent, but i think many people derive a placebo effect from CF simply because they think it is better. Really, it is just more expensive.
Thanks Revan. The reason I was looking at cf was because I found a great deal on a pair.

I like carbon (light) when paired with Pathos (light) footpockets.

Very natural feeling and very easy on the legs!!

I like carbon (light) when paired with Pathos (light) footpockets.

Very natural feeling and very easy on the legs!!
Thanks Apneaadict! Pathos look like real nice footpockets. I've heard a lot about them for the past year or so. I've never actually used them though.

Heya guys I've got some Kevlar fins made by penetrator. They are specifically made more for spearfishing around rocks etc. I went straight to these from plastic so I can't comment on carbon and the difference, but mates have worn mine and they have all said they are lighter and give more burst thrust than glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Apneaadict! Pathos look like real nice footpockets. I've heard a lot about them for the past year or so. I've never actually used them though.

The Pathos foot pockets really are in a league of their own.

There is tons written about them here and all over the web, including on my blog.

I got mine from KKDavids (who posted above) of fins4u. He was very helpful in answering specific questions and great customer service.

They are one of the few places where you can get either fibreglass (leaderfins blades) or 100% carbon (pure evolution - not a carbon laminated FG blade, but pure carbon) blades with pathos footpockets.

Highly recommended.

I prefer carbon, but FG in a pathos might be my choice over carbon in most other footpockets, as the pathos really are that good. If $$$ is an issue, FG is a bit cheaper.

After only a few hrs of normal use, mine had conformed to my foot so well that I have a dedicated left and right footpocket. Awesome power transfer, super light and very comfortable.

The Pathos foot pockets really are in a league of their own.

There is tons written about them here and all over the web, including on my blog.

I got mine from KKDavids (who posted above) of fins4u. He was very helpful in answering specific questions and great customer service.

They are one of the few places where you can get either fibreglass (leaderfins blades) or 100% carbon (pure evolution - not a carbon laminated FG blade, but pure carbon) blades with pathos footpockets.

Highly recommended.

I prefer carbon, but FG in a pathos might be my choice over carbon in most other footpockets, as the pathos really are that good. If $$$ is an issue, FG is a bit cheaper.

After only a few hrs of normal use, mine had conformed to my foot so well that I have a dedicated left and right footpocket. Awesome power transfer, super light and very comfortable.
Apneaaddict,
I'll PM kkdavids but if you know anything about this let me know. Does he only carry Leaderfins? Sorry if that's a dumb question I just don't know that much about fins4u. I get all my stuff from Nautilus Spearfishing.. I was looking at their pure carbons because they have an awesome price on them. I've heard great things about the performance. I might just try to get my hands on a pair of Specialfins in soft. It's $30 shipping but I should probably just get a pair. I'm using Specialfins Kelpie blades right now. I would like to go for something a bit softer.

Jake

Initially we just supplied leaderfins, but now we make our own as well - the two pure carbon models are our own (with pathos foot pockets) - then we started to add pathos foot pockets to the leader blades...Also we are releasing a few more models early this year for underwater hockey which we have been working on for a year or so

Initially we just supplied leaderfins, but now we make our own as well - the two pure carbon models are our own (with pathos foot pockets) - then we started to add pathos foot pockets to the leader blades...Also we are releasing a few more models early this year for underwater hockey which we have been working on for a year or so
kkdavids,
I would really love to support the shop, but I have decided to go with fiberglass fins. If anyone I know is looking for some carbons I'll be sure to send them over to you.

Jake

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT