• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Carbonell strikes again!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spaghetti

Campari Survivor
May 31, 2005
They've had the 2009 Cmas Euro-African spearfishing championship in Algeria last week end. The winner team is Spain (as usual), Italy second (as usual :head).

The striking thing is the indivudual scores: spanish legend Pedro Carbonell, three times world champion, has now won his fourth Euro-African championship too! A legend. What else? Second is local Tiblali from Algeria, who went very close to victory in his home waters.

Individual ranking:

1) Carbonell (Spain) 177,770 (2009 Euro-African Champion)
2) Tiblali (Algeria) 169.049
3) Kerejeta (Spain) 163.686
4) Marinov (Croatia) 138.348
5) Bellani (Italy) 132,667
6) Sideris (Greece) 123,475
7) Santiago Lopez Cid (Spain) 113,493
8) Arabadjdeu (Bulgaria) 102.440
9) Riolo (Italy) 100,474
10) Ramacciotti (Italy) 90,316

Teams ranking:

1 Spain 454,949
2 Italy 323,457
3 Croatia 276,700
4 Algeria 276,699
5 Portugal
6 Greece
7 Bulgaria
8 Ukraine
9 Finland
10 Russia

Last edited:
Yes, it next year in Mali lošinj, Croatia. In September if I am not mistaking.

So Spago, do you think Carbonell is better then Renzo, I watched the video of the world championship in Porto Cristo, where Renzo won, by beating Amengal and another French men. They were diving 40 meters, hipper ventilating. All of them have really crappy fins. Very impressive, I would buy the dvd if I ever found it.

I am just putting a quater on the spaghetti machine - will i get my money back ?

Reactions: spaghetti
Any idea what gear the top guys use? (Sponsors, etc?)

Last edited:
Carbonell is sponsored by Beuchat (if he did not change very recently...). His occupation (meant as dry times job), if he hasn't changed job recently, is regional sales manager for Beuchat, and it is quite consequential that he helps with developing the products too, just like many other champions in the past with their sposnors (Scarpati for Mares, Bardi for Omer, et cetera).

This gear thing brings me back to Strangelove's question.
Who's the greatest competitive spearo ever, Carbonell or Mazzarri? Well i think it's just like asking between Maradona and Pelè for football, Carl Lewis or Jesse Owens, Michael Phelps or Mark Spitz, the greatest champions of their own times.
As for gear, young Mazzarri has won 3 World Champs with Cressi Rondine fins and Apache gun (at times when everybody had relatively "primitive" gear as well), but then old Mazzarri also won 3 Champions' Leagues with C4 Mustangs and Mr.Carbon in more recent times. It's not the arrow, but the indian.

Between Mazzarri and Carbonell we have only one serious direct spearcrossing, in 1992 at the Maillorca World championship, where Mazzarri defeated both Carbonell and Amengual in their home waters. But when this happened, Carbonell was too young and Amengual was quite old, while Mazzarri was at the top of his carreer.

As a matter of fact, Carbonell started to win when Mazzarri had to retire from official competitions. We'll never know if this is because Carbonell has reached his maturity in that period, or just because his strongest competitor was forced to retire leaving an open field for a new champ.......But in all seriousness, carbonell is a darn good spearo!

Last edited:
Any idea what gear the top guys use? (Sponsors, etc?)

1) Carbonell (Spain) Beuchat
2) Tiblali (Algeria) ???
3) Kerejeta (Spain) Mares
4) Marinov (Croatia) Mares
5) Bellani (Italy) Cressi
6) Sideris (Greece) ???
7) Santiago Lopez Cid (Spain)???
8) Arabadjdeu (Bulgaria) ???
9) Riolo (Italy) S-Dive
10) Ramacciotti (Italy) C4/Seatec/Rofos

hello
i see that Ukraine did not so bad. do you have by any chance the names of the ukrainian competitors?
cheers
gurp33

Chile was not invited? afraid of a little competition? :) jejejeje I guess we are not euro-African enough..

Anyone know what happen to Alberto March

Well i think it's just like asking between Maradona and Pelè for football -> You are trying to put a coin on my machine now !

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT