• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Carlos Coste Blackout In Constant Weight W/o Fins World Record Attempt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

miguel

Underwater Sports Fanatic
Jun 6, 2003
Carlos Coste World Record Attempts

In the first of their intents of world records, in theevent denominated Challenge in The Abyss 2003, the Venezuelan freediver could not implant the new world record in the modality of apnea constant weight without fins, since it suffered a blackout to few meters of the surface.
After arriving to the -60 mts of depth, Carlos could not return to the surface in good state and he had to be rescued of the water by his team partner and safety freediver, Néstor Aparcedo.

However, Carlos follows optimist in search of his new world records and he will try again to get the world mark next Sunday 28.
Meanwhile the Danish freediver Stig Severinsen will be looking for the new world record of static apnea next Friday 26.

Keep it connected with http://www.sportalsub.net where we will be carrying out the daily covering of this event.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• carlos.jpg
    carlos.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Best of luck to Carlos. "No Fins" seems to be the ultimate discipline right now.

Buena suerta Carlos. Thanks for keeping us informed Miguel, despite the setback.
Salud,
Erik Y.

Good luck to Carlos in his next attempt!

So, now with two failed attempts to beat or equal Topi's 60m depth (Carlos 60m, David 63m), it seems we are starting to move into 'real' territory in this category, as opposed to the 'joke' dives (30-33m) which had been the trend for a while!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi

I think Unassisted is the (topic estilo now) It need a lot of preparation - we are using a lot of energy and everytime we do a stroke we are consuming more oxigeno-for that reasing is very easy to black out - that's why we have to have a a good breastroke - streamline- ect

Last edited:
Miguel,
Do you know if Carlos found what make him to black-out?
Any problem in the way down?. Different warming up?
Any clue?

-60m? I thought it was listed on the AIDA site as having achieved -62, and attempting -65?

The AIDA site listed Coste as having reached a 62m dive in training, which allows him to attempt UP TO 65m, but he chose to attempt 60m.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Why does Carlos in fact try for 60m and not, like, 61? I hear some say it is it to respect Topi's original dive, is this right?

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

I think Topi's dive is earning its own respect! Two really good divers bonked trying to beat it. His record is likely to fall soon enough because these guys are clearly in striking range and have apparently exceeded it on unofficial dives, but it sure is hanging in there, esp. given all the progress in the past year.

BTW I really wanted to toss David Lee some karma for the very personal and honest report on his attempt, but the karma system seems to let me karminate a person once and only once.

Quite a year so far.

Hi friends, Carlos Coste (Venezuela) and Stig Severinsen (Denmark) are training together for attempt break this record. In today´s practise they made the -61 meters in constant without fins. Carlos next official attempt is on Sunday 28th and Stig´s attemps are tuesday september 30th and friday october 2nd.
Keep conect with http://www.sportalsub.net for lastest news about this event.

En español: saludos amigos, gracias por el apoyo a Carlos Coste en sus intentos de records, esperemos que todo le salga bien, tambien pueden dejar su mensaje de apoyo en el libro de visitas de su página http://www.carloscoste.com

Hola miguel

Saludos Miguel ..seria bueno que tiraran video del record en unassited y lo pusieran en el portal.. me alegro mucho que Carlos este tratando esto.

blessing

Daniel.:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT