• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cassette in a wood gun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Myoungki Oh

Jan 8, 2016
I'm looking to build a spear gun, I do have a wood blank and i need a trigger and other bits and pieces. When looking at triggers, I decided buying one is better than making one, (just the time and cost analysis) and that I should look at all types of trigger mechs. I found that cassette mechanisms for barrel guns are substantially more affordable than the metal trigger mechanism everyone buys for their wood guns. Would a cassette type mechanism work for a wood gun?

I have found buying old guns at garage sales can be a good source of parts. I picked up 2 seahornets 1 undersea and a mares gun for $20 the lot recently. The seahornet has a trigger cassette suitable for use in a wooden gun. It is an Australian made gun but sold all over the world. If you are lucky enough to find an old one, they used to make the cassettes out of stainless steel which is better than the later ones which are plastic. The guns i bought had plastic cassettes so I copied the cassettes in stainless steel. This may be a bit difficult if you are not experienced in metal work.
seahornet cass.jpg

sea hornet cassette with trigger removed and my stainless copy. The top left is a cassette from the 1980s or 90s you will notice the trigger pin hole is closer to the apex than the cassette below it. the lower cassette is from the 2000s and is stronger than the 80s model. The ones from the 70s and early 80s have stainless cassettes but they are harder to find.
Good luck with your build

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
I don't see why not - although some brands may not be up to power of more than 2x16mm bands. The RA plastic cassette should be tougher than most and is simply held in with 2 plastic dowels.
[I think Mako & Neptonics offer good metal trigger mechs.]

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT