• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Caught my first John Dory..(Zeus faber)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

greendiver

Sea fanatic
May 2, 2005
Today I have caught my first John Dory, I am not sure if that is the proper english word, in latin it is "Zeus faber", here in Spain it is San Pedro.
It is not very common here, at least for us that go spearfishing.
What about you guys that fish in the UK?
Here in spain it is one of the better fish to eat, so I will let you guys no tomorrow!:)
I will prepare it in the oven, with a bit of garlic, I will serve it with a glass of rose!!:friday
It is truly a beautiful animal, have alook at the pic!
I speared it at about 18 meters, it was curious, and came from a bed of seagrass to have a look at me.

Attachments

• san pedro.jpg
    san pedro.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 176
Well done mate nice John Dory, yes we get them but it is not common to see them diving.
There are a few JD vids around, one by Huan is fantastic but I would have to search for it.
We catch them on the rods too OMDs son had a beauty a few years ago of about 7lb & my oldest brother had a big one diving once about 6lb I think.
i hope you enjoy eating it - lovely fish to eat.

Saw and had a few off the south coast of the UK this last Autumn, but very much shallower than 18m, it was more like 3m!! They are very tasty as well, just be careful of those spikes!!

San Pedro here too: pesce San Pietro (Saint Peter fish).
I've seen only one while snorkelling once in a lifetime, but I managed to eat a few and indeed it's very, very good...
Well done Dutchman!

Well done Greendiver, I've had a couple myself and they are a really tasty fish. Just like Flyflicker, I found mine quite shallow, in about 4-5m of water. One was swimming head on to me and I couldn't make out what the hell it was until it went broadside. Did yours grunt at you?

The last one I had I put into a curry, but curry aside they really are a fine tasting fish.
Grunting and I thought it was just me, and yes mine was also shallow about the same a Flyflickers (probably came from the same spot).:):)

Well done Greendiver, I've had a couple myself and they are a really tasty fish. Just like Flyflicker, I found mine quite shallow, in about 4-5m of water. One was swimming head on to me and I couldn't make out what the hell it was until it went broadside. Did yours grunt at you?

Yes mate, it grunted at me, thought waht the hell is this now..;-)!

I think we may disagree slightly on the term "beautiful". It looks pretty scary. Either way, congrats of the catch!

Alive they are beautiful, unfortunately I've never seen one, they seem to be more common in colder waters from what you guys are saying. Here (Spain) they are suppposed to be in deeper waters.

I have seen them on scuba, every year once or twice, and like Adrian said, you can usually can find them a bit deeper.

I've yet to see one while diving. Seen them on the menu down in Cornwall!:D It's noteworthy when somebody catches one.

Nice going man, I shot one a while back, and was stoked!! Here's the post about mine http://forums.deeperblue.com/cornwall/69310-cornwall-2007-a-48.html#post671458 and I have a picture somewhere, but i'll have to route around my computer and try and dig it out. Definatley not a big fish, but certainly one of my most memorable catches.

Well done again dude, and cheers for sharing... I'm starting to feel landlocked now!

Huw.

Reactions: spaghetti
Kudos on the JD greendiver

I managed 2 last year, fantastic eating and amazingly well camoflaged fish. Ive not seen many in my local spots

They also freeze well, just finished off three I caught last autumn - still very, very tasty.... oh yes and great for that romantic meal!!! :inlove

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT