• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Caving with Connor

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

azapa

51% freediver 49% spearo
Jan 31, 2007
As Connor mentioned a while back, words, and these freaky pictures, don’t do these places justice, but it’s all I have got in this cyber world to entertain you with.

A 7 hour drive from Ft. Lauderdale (oh yes, after a 9 hour flight from Chile) may seem a long way to go. But there I was, relaxing with my family in the delicious (but murky then) 27deg C water of Ft. Lauderdales beaches, after a very successful “trick or treating” the night before. The urge to dive was strong within me (say in a Darth Vader voice).

Point is, it was hard to set out alone in the rental car and drive 7 hours to dive in a swamp, but I had the feeling that it would be a great experience. Better put this way: whenever I have done this crazy stuff I have always had a blast. So I drove, Connor (Cdavis) graciously offering me an overnight at his place to break up the journey.

5:30AM and we are off. Sandwiches, deet, old trainers (sorry “sneakers”) and more deet. And a disposable camera (thanks Connor!) that replaced what I should really have brought.

First stop (3 hours drive!) The Nest: a simple looking pond: ducks, weed and all, no one there but us. Clear blueness starts breaking through the previously white sky. Near the middle of the “pond” is a 1 to 2M dia. keyhole that leads to another dimension. See the drawing bellow. 10M to the key entrance, 10M through (!) and you are in a big black world. Fresh water, not sure on how much lead to use, diving into the dark… what a recipe! We dropped 120ft (37M) of dive line down through the hole to which, brilliantly, Connor affixed a scuba safety strobe. It was the only point of reference.

We took it in turns diving and safety. I am a rookie. I needed to get through that hole into the chamber bellow, and I knew I could handle the depth, yet had not been bellow 25M since April. I pushed the ears quite hard, but arrived at 30M, just off the strobe. Looking around, then up, it was spooky: just the light above, rope, and a few “false” exits from the chamber that I really did not want to take. Letting go of the rope to take some pictures and I fell quite fast. Why does freshwater seem to make you fall faster? Just me? It was scary not to have the rope in my hand, and that was part of our dive plan: don’t leave the line. The chamber water was several degrees warmer. Connor later told me that I was only 5M or so from the rubble pile on the bottom of the cave.

Connor dove the nest like a pro, FRC dives (a little over half lung on the deeper shots) and progressed smoothly, with easy recoveries. A great session, too great, mind blowing, and we are off to another spot: “the swamp”

Another hours drive: deet and wetsuit bottoms on, and Connors old sneakers, and it was off through the swap, fins underarm, masks, line, snorkel etc. pretty much out of place for the scenery, but after the previous session “normal Freediving” was already a blurred definition.

Mud up to the waist in some spots, we arrived at an oval pit not more than 15M long by 4 wide. Clear water, very, very clear. "Gin clear" was a description I enjoyed from my host. The entrance to the cave was about 2M round and covered by two fallen dead trees, duckdiving between them, with my rookie style, would make it to those “blooper” movies that are just so hilarious (not). Now here we had 50M viz (we attempted to calculate). The chamber goes down and back, and I was wondering why 25 to 30M dives seemed quite hard. For the record: a dive at a 45 degree angle is harder than a straight down one :duh.

As we set up, this time a shorter line, the sunshine cracks through the tall trees and illuminates the largest boulder back on the chamber floor: a rock about 3M round, white limestone, “the throne” we dubbed it. It called. It tempted. Rays of sunlight guiding and pointing to its flattish upper. I had to sit on it, and dove, got lost and alighted on a pile off white boulders, deeper and to one side. Looking up was amazing, the chamber walls white, the fallen logs, the silhouette of Connor safetying up top. It was a toughish dive and I was again pushing my ears (rookie).

Connor went for, and accomplished the throne too, his deepest FRC dive he later told me, with ease. We carried on diving there for a couple of hours. As my ears closed up more I would explore further horizontally, seeing the air bubbles, mercury like, trapped above me in the limestone crevices.

What a day. Was that a 30 minute drive? Can’t remember. The diving I’ll have with me for the rest of my years.

I actually like the pictures: non standard, for a very non-standard environment.

Thanks Connor.

OBLIGATORY NOTE: caving is hard enough without doing it on breathold, don’t try it, don’t go into overhead scenarios. This is just a story for your enjoyment and not a recommendation or endorsement.

Attachments

• nest_monstor.jpg
    nest_monstor.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 235
  • nest.jpg
    nest.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 222
  • nest_looking_up.jpg
    nest_looking_up.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 218
  • connor.jpg
    connor.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 226
  • swamp_dive.jpg
    swamp_dive.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
some more pictures

Attachments

• swamp_light3.jpg
    swamp_light3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 185
  • swamp_rays.jpg
    swamp_rays.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 183
  • swamp.jpg
    swamp.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 189
Awesome, I hope to get there someday too. And Connor's tops in my book.

Wow, he treated you better than he did me! He took me to a sulfur pit! :)

Maybe next trip I can go to a more clear spring. My last trip there was fast paced.

Maybe next trip I can go to a more clear spring. My last trip there was fast paced.

LOL, well I made him dive in 8C water for a week!

Hey, I thought my "sulfur pit" was pretty nice, what's not to like about 85 degree water? So the vis is lousy, it smells like rotten eggs and the water will eat your gear if you don't wash it carefully, so what? People travel from all over the world to swim in this stuff, truth. The place is famous for its miracle cures!

Just wait Eric, I've got something special planned for you.

Connor

Last edited:
You know, Deeper Blue is one weird and wonderful place. Where else can you be sitting in your home, minding your own business, when, on your computer, up pops some guy you don’t know, from some foreign place you hardly even heard of much less know anything about, and he wants to go diving with you? I mean, isn’t this kind of odd??

Well, a few weeks ago, azapa pms me about going diving in Florida. Now azapa is from Chile. I’m fairly educated for an American (way ahead of Sarah P.) and actually know where Chile is. For those of you that don’t, its one hell of a long way south of Florida. I think the next stop would be the south pole. For sure, I don’t know anybody from Chile, and don’t know any living person who had ever even been there. But, he’s a DBer and has put up some interesting posts. Ok, lets do it. So, he comes over from Ft Lauderdale, spends the night with me, and we take off before light on Monday morning on the way to one of my special spots. This place is fabulous when its good, but very, very BAD when its not. The bugs can carry you off, (ever inhaled a half dozen mosquitoes through your snorkel?), and on bad days you can't see your hand. Nobodies been out there in months to check the place and the weather forecast is not good. Would you fly zillions of miles, then drive 7 hours to dive with a guy you never met before, in a swamp, at a place that might not be good? The man is obviously a flat out gambler, appeals to my sense of crazyness.

Thankfully, the weather and the vis cooperated. It was a great day and we both had a fantastic time. He got to see Florida fresh water diving at its best and I got to go back to a favorite spot,dive with another super DB diver and improve my frc depth range. An excellent trade.

All hail DB, Papa Smurf, and all the other people who make DB such a great place!

And, don't let azapa give you any of that "rookie" stuff. The first place we dove is more than just a little intimidating, even for experienced divers, and he took to it like he was born cave diving.

Some of you may have noticed the 50 m vis estimate and thought, "hmm, somebody is stretching this a bit!" Believe it or not, it was much, much better than that. Hard to estimate because there is no line of sight long enough, but at 40 meters away from the entrance, looking up, the surface was crystal clear. max vis 70m?, 80m? darn if I know. When a Florida spring gets like that, it is as if the water isn't there.

Oh yeah, for those of you who might be getting an overly positive impression of Florida diving, check out the pic of azapa sitting in the water on the steps. Notice the thick ropy slime oozing off his head and shoulders. He forgot to mention that in his write-up. That's the stuff that covers most of the water's surface, otherwise know as "snot". No worries, it comes off pretty easy when you submerge. Ahh, home, sweet home!

Connor

Last edited:
Reactions: Simos and Erik
I tease Connor. I would have drove north to a a different spring, but man was I wiped out from the 20 hour drive and a previous day of diving.

Any word on the Hudson cave divers lost yesterday?

All hail to the power of DB! I'm glad to see people hooking up like that and having a good old fashioned laugh! Azapa I take my hat off to you mate because I wouldn't have the nuts to do that dive, especially considering you left behind the beaches in Florida full of bikini-babes! Mucho respeto! Connor well done to you for exending the hand of friendship!

No word on the Hudson divers, looks bad. Nasty place they were diving in, really interesting life forms, but bad vis, lots of interconnected, looping tunnels, strong, reversing currents. Not a place I would put a fin in.

Connor

must have been a devilishly good dive? :crutch:crutch
(sorry!)

The dives were good, except for the one time on the way up when I sniffed the air out of my mask and got some water in too.

My dad said they found the two divers in Hudson. One near the entrance and one deeper in.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT