• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cayman Islands destroyed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
Cayman Islands destroyed- Hurricane Ivan

Hurricane Ivan has taken it's toll on the Cayman Islands...

well wishes to all divers and folks still out there picking up the pieces of their lives... the locals especially.. many people are left homeless.

see photos at www.davidolson.com

Last edited:
its very sad to see the "living heavens" after natural disasters...

yeah Cayman was a beautiful island. was very clean.. a little modern perhaps in comparison to other caribbean islands but seven mile beach was heavenly.

so many homes and beautiful condos destroyed. very sad.

Very sad what happened over there...

But I've got a question, mabye a little bit stupid, but hey it never hurts to ask. I come from the Netherlands and most of the houses here (95%) are made from bricks and concrete. When I look at the houses who are in the danger zones for hurricanes, like hurricane alley and of course cayman islands, why is it that I always see so many wooden houses? Doesn't it make sense that if you know that hurricane angry pino is coming in the future to build a concrete home? Just asking, really curious.....

Hey i always thought that too.

I think nature is like the wolf in the "Three little pigs"

Its trying to get back at us for making such a mess and is currently huffing and puffing.

Scared to think when it starts chucking tidal waves at us.

because wood is a lot cheaper. plus not to mention, the whole of the state of Florida and the greater majority of those hurricane stricken zones are developed over soil that would cave in if you had lots of concrete structures.

i hate to say this, but a lot of people here in Miami, were are just happy that Ivan didnt hit us. Sadly, with hurricanes, its one of those things where you dont want it to hit you, and you just want it to go away, wherever away is, as long as it aint here, but you dint wish it on anyone else..

You bet Mishu,

I went to college in Central Florida (Winter Park) and my school's swimming pool - a new one at that- plus a couple of homes were swallowed up by a big sink hole. Luckily I had graduated by then!

Adrian

Its not what you build it with, its how strong you build it. Wood construction that is tied together properly is sometimes better than concrete block because it can flex with no permanent damage. Also it is much easier to build a house on stilts in wood. No matter what its made of, waves and storm surge will destroy it if they can get to it.

My house is block and very strong, with a reinforced roof, every rafter strapped to the walls with metal anchors extending well down into the concrete. Its pretty safe, even from a very strong storm, unless the storm surge is extra high. However, if the predicted water level from an approaching storm was into the house, I would definately evacuate.

Connor

thank god we are not situated in a hurricane alley. our highest point is about 3m above sea level... and the storm surge would just swallow us. the islands here are so small....
we would be flattened.. there is nowhere to hide!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT