• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chance comment on breath-holding, curious about SWBO . . .

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

we2sail

Dec 19, 2007
My first two questions, if I may, is : What is and what causes SWBO and is it always fatal for solo divers?

Second, since it was a South African Underwater Hockey Player who died (in 2004?), what is Underwater Hockey or where can I learn more about it?

Due to a chance comment by some old guy (older than me!), I have arrived to get the details if I may?

The story:
While with my grandchildren (ages 6 & 9) practicing holding their breath in a 55+ community pool, and older gentleman told us of a man who died while holding his breath and to discourage the children. (So far, Olivia can hold her breath 30 seconds and her younger brother 10 seconds). I am only back up to about 2 minutes.

As way under way may lead, I have been an active swimmer beginning about age 5, self taught except for contributions by friends and relatives. The longest "free swim" was 150 feet in an Olympic sized pool, but today that is only a warm memory <smile>.

In later years, I have not done as much swimming, but have more questions (later) on wet suits for colder waters (50 - 60 degrees F.). New England waters, USA

Any, per Robert Frost, as way leads unto way, I found my way here, and am fascinated by what I have seen so far.

advTHANKSance

Bob

Hi Bob.

Welcome to DB.

SWBO occurs basicaly due to lack of oxygen, but its more complicated than that. Use the "Search" function, top right on this page, for "BO","black out" and similar. That will give you plenty to digest. Surviving a BO when alone is not common, but several on this board have that dubious distinction. Several threads on that subject. Look up posts by Amphibious.

IMHO, I would not worry about BO in the kids that young, but it is a general rule, critically important for older kids and adults, to always have someone watching anyone holding their breath underwater.

Can't help you on the underwater hockey, don't play, but some on this board do. Again, use the search function.

Connor

Underwater Hockey World - A very good resource for UWH. I started playing earlier this year, but I've not heard of any players dying from BO, let alone in a game. It's entirely possible though, I have heard of several BOs and plenty of sambas. This is at elite level though and mainly during fitness tests.

Have a bit of a search around on youtube for some UWH videos. They'll give you an idea of how its played better than a description.

Hi,

There is also UWR (under water rugby). Other great and fun member of the under water sports family.

Cheers...

Hi Bob.

Welcome to DB.

SWBO occurs basicaly due to lack of oxygen, but its more complicated than
:snip

Yes. I am intimately familiar with the same phenomena, different cause in which water plays no part. The term is "OSA - Obstructive Sleep Apnea" (1), which basically means some people do not get enough oxygen during their normal sleep cycle (many reasons) and will pass out the following day regardless of what they may be doing. Oxygen deprivation!

: snip

Can't help you on the underwater hockey, don't play, but some on this board do. Again, use the search function.

> Thanks on the UWH. I did manage to locate the International Page hosted by University of Texas and found two locations near where I live, the closest one being in West Palm Beach.

Fortunately my discoveries have stimulated my interests. A number of friends and aquaintences thought I had an unhealthy interest in underwater swimming. I feel like I have found a bunch of new friends. <:friday> with similar interests! I need to thank the old guy at the pool !

Connor

Question to Connor? Do I know you from Hunter-land? H27's

/ Bob

(1) Awake In Philly || General Overview of Apnea

Nope, not me. I put away my shotgun when I discovered spearfishing, a long time ago.

Connor

Lessons learned - a SWB Story

Read that - it's a very recent first-hand account of a blackout. It's pretty scary, and it's one of the few from someone who was alone, blacked out, and survived. It answers one of your questions; no, SWB is not always fatal for solo divers. However, after reading that story, you'll have a sobering reason why it's so dangerous.

Thank you for that pointer / story.

Very sobering experience indeed. I think it noteworthy that Amphibious says he had not known anyone who did survive an SWB.

From what I gathered, there are several lessons learned
Emergency Signalling
Anchor Bouy
Buddy Diving

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Concerning your question on underwater hockey : There are very few accidents linked to breath holding in UWH (a little bit more physical or mechanical accidents : ie. elbow to the chin or puck to facemask type of injury...). Fat chance of a shalow water black out occuring during a game ; mainly because your body tells you to breathe way before your O² supply is out.

As said before, I share the idea that SWBO will most likely be fatal if you are alone.

Hi Bob,

:snip

As said before, I share the idea that SWBO will most likely be fatal if you are alone.

Sorry, OFF TOPIC Query follows :cool:

I noticed you signed as FIDO. I am familiar with a very old data replication termed FIDO Network. Any relationship to the old FIDO net ? :ban

Thanks,

Bob

Negative on that data replication - Much less sophisticated... the acronym F.I.D.O. originated from my military unit and is more of a moto than anything ; as the initials stand for : "F... It Drive On".
Crude but efficient !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT