• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Channel Island beach conditions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Insidethestorm

Jun 3, 2011
I was diving at Refugio today, north of Santa Barbara, and the visibility was pretty bad. maybe 6-8 feet, lots of brownish algea. Some places cleared up to around 10, maybe even 15 feet, but thats it. Great swell, maybe 1-2 feet and 2 foot surge, but the viz sucked. Is there a thread on this forum for conditions? I hate driving 45 minutes just to find out that the water is full of boogers. Despite the conditions, I still hooked up a nice rockfish and some perch. Sigh, any day in the water, right?

It sucks to drive somewhere expecting nice conditions, only to find awful viz. That happened to me. I had the rare chance to dive in La Jolla (I live in Fresno). I got there only to find that the water was incredibly murky, with viz less than 2 feet.

Have you tried calling the park office number to find out the conditions beforehand? There's also this: Southern California Dive Conditions It could help in the future.

Ive looked at that before, and it can help, but it seems like the only good info regarding visibility is word of mouth. Considering that the viz changes daily, sometimes even hourly, I'll hear that the water is great, and by the time I get there the next day, trashed. Too bad theres not like an underwater webcam that you could check. I know that there is one for Anacapa island in the channel, but how about one for Gaviota, or Goleta Pier? That would be nice.

Last edited:
It doesn't take long for conditions to change. I've seen 15-foot visibility turn to 4-foot visibility in less than ten minutes.

Who placed the webcams at the existing locations? It's a good idea to have them.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…