• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cheap slip tip for BIG tuna

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fer_abella

Apr 22, 2004
sliptip.JPG

Hi,

I am very interested in this slip tip as it is easier and cheaper to manufacture than an alexander type of slip tip. and it starts to cross in the same moment the floppers start to operate (this is very interesting with very big tunas and very wide slip tips -6" or more-)

I am in spain and i need some slip tips -6 or so- so i would prefer to manufacture them locally instead of buying from abroad and save for some other equipment.

My question is :

Is its performance comparable to alexander, riffe, kitto slip tips?

It crosses inside the fish quickly and reliabily?

Thank you

This is the tye of fish i would like to use them against :

atun_168k_011004_0.jpg

:) :)

Last edited:
Fernando,
The two things I look for in a slip tip is how straight it stays (doesn’t wobble) on the shaft and how well it stays on the shaft when you are diving and swimming. I think the reason Alexander and the other tips have a pointed adapter (male end) and funnel back end of the slip tip is so they self center and straighten themselves. But even that doesn’t work perfectly if they are not tight when fired, because they will steer the shaft the direction they are leaning. Riffe’s Ice Pikes can be bad for this.

The overlap of the adapter and slip tip look large, so if its machine with close tolerances it could stay pretty straight, but I also wonder if its in a bind will it let go as easy as pointed and funnel setup?

Kitto makes a nice supper strong slip tip which is less expensive than Alexander, Wong, and some others. My only problem with that tip was getting it to stay on when diving and swimming. Believe me there is nothing more frustrating than having the tip constantly fall off. I tried all kinds of rubber bands and surgical tubing. I finally settled on running a thin rubber band from the cable attachment on the tip down the shaft to the rest tab. This worked pretty good until I lost the whole shaft with bad cable connection. I kept a supply of rubber bands on the gun so I could replace it each time I fired.

Now I am using a Patco slip tip that has a built-in magnet. Its not as heavy built as the Kitto and it has more play than I like, but it does stay on the shaft while swimming and diving.

I have also starting playing with spectra instead of cable on the slip tip. I haven’t come to a conclusion yet about that, but I do like how it doesn’t kink up and need replacing all the time like cable. I am not targeting tuna and so I want something that works well for multiple shoots.

Good luck in manufacturing your tips!
don

Don, Where did you get the pacto slip tip, and do you have a pic of it? I'm using the Alexander tip my self now, but would like to mess around with alternatives.

Thanks,

Gerald

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT