• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Check out this Whopper!!!!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thats one ugly fish!! I saw one one in Port Erin in the Isle of Man, scared the crap out of me:waterwork not anywhere near that big though.
Sure are nice to eat!! I love them :)

hiya

Now thats one HECK of an UGLY fish!!! Probably tastes great though. Why is it that the uglier a fish is, the better it tastes!!!!

Well done, Shaca!!!!

Just curious, is that a SMILE i see??? :D :D :D

miles

Nice catch Shane! It's almost as tall as you!

Unfortunately not a smile, miles. It's just a mimic he does when he pulls something heavy! :D

Last edited:
Trust me I was not smiling. :D

Try lifting 23 kilos of slippery fish

Bloody Hard Work

rape

funny that those fish are called "rape" in Spanish :)

the most delicious fish preparations i ever ate in Spain were rape...

really expensive in the market... well done Shac!

First time I saw one of these was diving in Glouster Ma. I had a bag full of maine lobster. I came over a rock and a school of 8 to 10 were lying on the bottom. I had never seen one before so I went the other way. Well, I happened to look back and one was a few feet from my fins. He was opening his mouth wide! When one of these opens his mouth it looks like a canyon! It scared the ":+_#$ out of me. I had no weapon. I surfaced and it circled for a while and went away. I think it wanted my lobsters.
Ray

Nice catch Shaca!
I imagine that you stoned the fish with the shot...it wouldnt be nice to go and grab such a thing after a shot!

Saludos

Roberto

:hmm Smaller than previous one???

Nice catch, although its hard to belive it tastes good:D

It is often used as scampi instead of Dublin Bay prawns, if youve ever eaten comercially made scampi the chances are youve eaten Monkfish. :)

Awesome fish Shane! Tell us the story how you got it and did it put up a fight?
don

Last edited:
Absolutely aweome Shane! Given your close relationship with the monkfish does this mean you are going to become a monk? :D :D :D

Adrian

No Adrian, I am an atheist, but yes, it seems I have a close relationship with the Monks :D

Baur, I had a succesful DEntex mission yesterday. Did everything Dapiran taught me and landed a 2 kilo one after a huge aspetto.

The shoal was there but it man are they suspicious.

I have no time to write the story now, but yes the fish put up a nice fight. Swam around me twice and made a huge mess with the bouy line, shooting line and my buddies bouy line.

nice catch, shaca!
i had diving with one with about 1,10m, head diametre, in a 22,0m of depth in Graciosa, Azores. they are very slow and allow the aprouch easly. me and my diving partner had been swimming on their back for a few minutes.
and sure they also have a lots of fun on the table... :))

hey shane, is it possible to tell those "little" tips to us poor speros???:D :D :D

Hey Murat,

Have you not watched Aspetto Dinamico Al Dentice by Giorgio Dapiran?

Dentex fishing is about as technical as it gets and he dedicated a number of years to catch this beautiful fish and has written a book and made 2 films about it.

Also try and watch Tutto Dentice by Gianfranco Donati (DVS)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT