• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chicago Freediving Group

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Spear_Baltic

Jul 9, 2012
Im looking to put together a group of people that are free divers in illinois, mainly the Chicago land. Anyone interested, seasoned, intermediate, rookies. Illinois is flat and someone boring and not much is offered for freediving unless you have boat to go out on lake Michigan and dive some really neat ship wrecks. However, Kankakee and Morris provide quarries and lakes that are decently clear for some good diving. Trips can be organized and made to drive up to Wisconsin, lake Wazee.

Hi there, I have been searching every site I could find, desperately looking for freediving suggestions in the Chcago Area since I found out 2 weeks ago I am moving there. I grew up in FL diving various springs, bounced around the world for work and have spent the past couple years back in FL freediving 3-4 days a week, so the move to Chicago is gonna be rather traumatic if I can't find some diving lol. Let me know if you are still in the area and interested in getting a group of divers together.

It looks like it is a pretty small group of freedivers in the Chicago area. I had a good time diving the Morris quarry with spear_baltic recently, any time either of you would like to come to Haigh just let me know. We should definitely plan to car pool up to Wazee for the next gathering (freedive-a-palooza?). If kayaking to some Lake Michigan wreck is a possibility I'm game for that as well.

Live in Chicago by Ohear Airport. Have 21 foot boat good for diving (with platform) with twin jet's for getting there FAST... Never dived with tanks, want to, might take a discounted class for 250$ vs 500$. Want to put a group together to dive? just split the fuel cost...

Reactions: Hurlow
Sounds like we have some increased interest in the area. Hopefully when the weather warms up we can arrange some diving. Stay tuned.

Hey guys, I've been at this for some time now. There are actually a large group from the Chicago Area. I can think of about 14 just in Chicago area. Most of them come to Wisconsin to Spearfish, but there are several Avid Freedivers always looking to just Freedive. We always have a gathering the last weekend in July called Freedive-A-Palooza up at Wazee. It usually brings in anywhere from 25-40 freedivers. I should be posting something shortly about the Palooza. In the meantime I will get ahold of the divers I know and send them a message about this site. They actually don't use this site as much as we do Facebook. Wisconsin Speargun Hunters has a page that we've kind of used as a primary gathering.

Hi, I live in Chicago and diving, spearfishing every day let me know when you guys will dive next time

I am new but learn and improve fast. Are there any divers in the Chicago area?

I'm actually not living in Chicago, but might be coming to Chicago from San Francisco sometime next year. One of the things that makes me most sad about leaving the West Coast is the lack of an ocean. Lake Michigan is awesome, but just not the same!

That said, I'd be super interested in joining a freediving group in Chicago. I'd also be interested in helping to put together a website if it ever got to a point where that would be useful/cool. Lots of the freediving/spearfishing groups on the west coast have great clubs with events posted on their website, membership/due info, etc.

Hello guys I'm new around here and I'm really happy to find out that there is divers in Chicago. I'll be happy to meet you

You guys might think about diving in Williams bay behind the college it's near Observatory on lake Geneva shore diving with depth good visability also you might contact nostress on deeper blue he is a Chicago guy.

It

Would love to join weekend freediving trips. I'm down in Champaign-Urbana but happy to drive a little. By the way, what water temperatures should I expect in the region?

I live in Hawaii know, however water temp should be in the low70,s with colder water after the first 5 meters. Boat traffic can be a bit iffy some locations early morning may be better with a dive flag.

I'm relatively new at free diving only have gone a hand full of times. I would love to tag along with you guys if possible next time you head out. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Hi all!! I'm a complete and total rookie. Just came back from Egypt and Red Sea has my heart! I know nothing about free diving, but want to learn in the worst way. If any of you get together locally, would love to tag along!!! Hope this thread is still alive :)

Hi Lyoshka. Welcome! There are a few groups on FB where you can find some info about freediving trips in the region:
Wisconsin Speargun Hunters
Michigan Freedivers & Spearos
I also have a friend from Saudi Arabia that has just moved to Chicago; he's a freediving instructor with AIDA. Could be a good opportunity to get a proper introduction to freediving. His name is Hamza Siam, you can probably find him on the Michigan Freedivers FB page.
Hope this helps...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT