• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Choosing a mask when you're nowhere near a dive shop.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hapcat1999

Apr 1, 2016
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new mask but have the problem that the nearest dive shop is about 1,000 miles away, and that one focuses on SCUBA. I know you're suppose to try on masks until you find one that's perfect for you, but that's not really a possibility. The only thing I can do is order one. Are there any dive masks that tend to be more universally sized for the average person?

Reactions: DiveHacker
I have bought my last 4 masks - each a different brand and model - on-line without too much problem, especially as I have a fairly large head and face and masks are getting smaller.

I think modern silicone skirted models are more forgiving.

This forum is a good source of information and recommendations
But trying it yourself is best, obviously
I currently use a Technisub Aqualung Micromask for Spearfishing. A cressi mask became popular after that I forget the model name. Lots to try!

Before that I used an X-combat mask (nice and good box), Omer Alien ( misted up before extensive cleaning and use. One lens came out after several years use but fitted it back using vice, carefully. No box.) And before that a Taiwanese copy of the Cressi Big Eyes - a nice scuba mask I think, wife likes it for snorkelling now (big glass and clear skirts). Before that I had an old 1970s British, rubber Brit Marine mask! Masks are getting better ;)

Last edited:
I think most try to be universal fitting, but some may fit you better than others of course. When I started experimenting with lower and lower volume masks, the fitment became more of an issue. The more silicone you have around the mask, I think that's more forgiving, but that also may lead to a larger volume mask. I ended up settling on the Gull Mantis LV. It's low enough volume for my deep dives, but still fit well. I do spearfish primarily, so my "deep" may not be yours.

I have the same problem. Tried an Omer alien. Had to give it away. It completely dug into my forehead.

I don’t have an answer. Shopping is so difficult for many, I know. I have heard the Salvimar Noah has a broad range of faces it fits. I finally got to try on a Cressi calibro and it fit me. I should probably buy it but really want to try the noah.

I would buy from an on-line shop that allows returns. I have a Cressi Nano and it is one of the most comfortable masks I've ever owned.
Yes but, I don’t know where op lives. I’ve lived in usa and also places outside us. You usually deal with import taxes and then shipment costs to go back. It becomes totally undoable. I pay 40% import tax

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT