• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Choosing the right set up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mennyossi

Mar 30, 2010
Hallo everyone:)!
I need suggestions for the right set up for my wooden speargun.
Its weight is around 4 k"g Mahagoni,length 150 c"m,wide 12-8 c"m.
Thank u,Menny.

Attachments

• על המצוף.JPG
    על המצוף.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 262
  • רובה עץ מכווץ 2.JPG
    רובה עץ מכווץ 2.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: devondave
I would go with a 5/16 or 7.5 mm thick shaft with 12 inches over hang or less if you use a slip tip, break away with no reel or with a reel there are many options but i would use 300 lb mono and clip it to the reel line with a short bungee for tensioning the line
I would use 2 or 3 16mm (5/8) bands or 3-4 14 mm (9/16) bands depending on how long you want to shoot it and if you want to use on the reef or blue water

just my opinion but what i would do is the 3 5/8 bands a 5/19 or 7.5 mm shaft with slip tip and rig it with a breakaway to a float. however that might be over powered so you you would have to make sure the gun still shoots accurately.
Aloha, Will

Thank u for your answer Will!
I'm diving at a 15-17 meters deep and usually that's the end of the reef. My goal fish are Amberjacks and Spanish mackarels.
Is 3*16 set up will give me a longer shoot then 1*18?
Can you please explain to me what set up u need for power and what set up u need for longer shoot?
Israel,Menny.

Reactions: Don Paul
Menny, that is a beautiful gun, who is the maker?
Cheers, Don Paul

Hi Don!
Thank you for your complement:inlove! It's myself,I'm the maker but it's still not complete...have to choose the right set up.

for power you need thick shaft and more bands and for accuracy you will probably want a thinner shaft and fewer bands
the reason i said 3 16mm is that your gun looks pretty solid but 2 bands would be more powerful and longer ranged than one 18 mm
when figuring out what bands to use you need to watch out for side to side warp of the spear if it is warping allot you should ease up on the bands

a little easier would be to hold your gun out to the side so you can watch the gun fire or have a friend shoot it while you watch
if the shaft goes down right after the gun is fired you need more band power and if it goes up you need less

i would start with 2 16 mm bands and move up to 3 if you/your gun can handle it

Will, thank you!
Right now I'm using a 7m"m shaft with 1 rubber 20m"m on my Marlin Buchate carbon 125c"m. I'm most satisfied of the accuracy and handle the rubber quite easy.
That new gun I just built,weight double then the Marlin. I'de like to take an advantage on it and use a powerfull set up for it. As I write before,I can handle 20 m"m rubber too easy.
What do you think will give me a set up of a7.5 m"m shaft with a 22 or 24m"m rubber?

If you can handle a 20mm band "too easy" then the band is too long. 20mm is normally the largest band diameter available. Never heard of 22 or 24mm bands. You should be stretching the band to 3.5 times its length.

I'm no bluewater expert but from my experience of band sizes I'd go for 16mm or 18mm as 20mm (the right length) is a bitch to load and kicks too much. 2 x 16mm is better than 1 x 20mm IMHO.

Your gun has plenty of mass so as long as the spear doesn't flex too much it should be accurate. Because of spear flex you need either a thick spear or an enclosed track. Looks like you don't have a fully enclosed track so a 7mm or better still a 7.5mm spear would enable you to run multi bands and still stay accurate.

Dave.

Menny, before we talk about max power, what mechanism did you use?
We need to know that it can safely handle and perform smoothly with
the power you'll be applying.
I like the open track, I would be running a 9/32 shaft with 10'' of overhang including the 9/32 sliptip.Two 5/8 bands @ 300% elongation.
For tuna to 50 lbs I would use a 5/16 same as above with 3 9/16 bands.
Great looking paint, is it sponge applied ?
Cheers, Don Paul

There is only one man who can handle 24mm speargun bands. This man is obviously named Chuck Norris.

But then, you know, when Chuck Norris wants an egg, he cracks open a chicken...

Now, seriously: beautiful gun. I'd certainly go with 3x16mm, or 3x17,5mm, rather than with an extra tough single one.

Last edited:
There is only one man who can handle 24mm speargun bands. This man is obviously named Chuck Norris.

But then, you know, when Chuck Norris wants an egg, he cracks open a chicken...

Now, seriously: beautiful gun. I'd certainly go with 3x16mm, or 3x17,5mm, rather than with an extra tough single one.

Chuck Norris is too old school......This is my brother....he can cock 3/4 '' bands with one hand.:friday
Cheers, Don

Attachments

• dos-equis-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world1.png
    dos-equis-the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world1.png
    389.3 KB · Views: 219
I like the open track, I would be running a 9/32 shaft with 10'' of overhang including the 9/32 sliptip.Two 5/8 bands @ 300% elongation.
For tuna to 50 lbs I would use a 5/16 same as above with 3 9/16 bands.
Cheers, Don Paul
Don,I use Abelan mechanisem. Yes, I used sponge. Can u plesae write the setups above again using m"m units?

I like the open track, I would be running a 7mm shaft with 250mm of overhang including the 7mm sliptip.Two 16mm bands @ 300% elongation.
For tuna to 22kg I would use a 8mm same as above with three 14mm bands.
Cheers, Don Paul

There you go.

Dave.

Thanks Dave just got back from a dive....the dolphins wouldn't let me leave till dark.:)
Don

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT