• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

miles

BORN WILD!!!
Supporter
Jun 13, 2003
Spearfish Cape Town, South Africa

Hiya

Bad viz. meant line fishing this week-end. Flat sea, almost no wind. Great conditions for line fishing. Was on anchor when suddendly the water erupts into a froth of white foam!!! Must be yellowtail (kingie)!!!! Up anchor and speed to them full throttle. Unfortunately it wasn't 'tail (kingies), but something much better...........a school of dolphins!!!! Absolutely stunning!!!! They spent about a half an hour playing with us, then departed.

Ps. this is about 1km from Seal Island, where the documentary "AIR JAWS" was made.

Attachments

• deeper blue dolphin1.jpg
    deeper blue dolphin1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 666
another piccy.....

Attachments

• deeper blue dolphin 2.jpg
    deeper blue dolphin 2.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 615
another.....

Attachments

• deeper blue dolphins13.jpg
    deeper blue dolphins13.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 597
Are those the Twelve Apostles in the background or am I thinking about a different part of SF?

Cape Point, Cape Town, South Africa

Hiya

I finally managed to outwit the weatherman. Predicted 5m swells and 55km/h winds. Warning that rough seas are to be expected!!!

Yeah right!!!

Picture of my favourite galgoen (type of bream) spot.

Attachments

• platbank1- 5 june 2004 006.jpg
    platbank1- 5 june 2004 006.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 585
Another picture of same spot

Attachments

• platbank cave cape point 5 june 2004.jpg
    platbank cave cape point 5 june 2004.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 580
Shot at Bellows on the same day.

Attachments

• tail catch 4 cape point 5 june 2004a.jpg
    tail catch 4 cape point 5 june 2004a.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 634
Nice pics Miles, my home spot !!! Was this today ??( Sunday)
PS, what is the deal with the new marine regs, came into play on Friday, where can we spear / ca'nt we spear ??
Some reports say NO FISHING from Moullie point to Muizenberg, ie, the entire peninsula, some seem to say there are area's allowed ??
:confused

Cheers

Jeff

you guys are my hero's for spearing in those waters. too much time in the med and red sea has made me soft. now i even jump when i see a leopard shark.
bevan

Hiya Bluecape

Pictures were taken whilst having lunch on the boat at Platbank (next to Rooikrans). Was dead tired after working all night then going spearing. Back at work now, so i'm going 36hours with no sleep. But hell it is worth it!!!!:D :D

Yip, those tail were shot at bellows today (sunday 06 June 2004). Literrally hundreds of fish out there. We were 3 spearos and shot our alloted 30 fish. Hence the early lunch at the krantz!!!! My mates caught 3 ton, yes 3 TON of 'tail today AND yesterday. (they're commercial handline fisherman!!!) Makes one wonder.....

Anyways, i asked a sea fisheries officer what the new restrictions were and he wasn't even aware that they're in effect. I mentioned that it was gazzetted as per the Argus newspaper, but alas, he was now even more confused than me!!!!! Go figure!!

I've also heard of the whole area being made a reserve, with fishing allowed for snoek by the commercial fisherman, and recreational fishing being allowed in certain zone. Note: no mention is made of spearfishing. Lets hope that its not like the Glencairn Reserve, where line fishing is allowed, but NO SPEARING!!!!

Would also love to know how far out the marine reserve will stretch. Specifically looking at the Bellows/Anvil area. From my understanding a list of GPS co-ordinates will be made available showing which area's are strictly forbidden.

I'm all for more reserves, but only if it encompasses all users of the resource.

Will follow it up tommorow by calling Pat Stacy at KalkBay Harbour. He looks after that whole area from Muizenberg to the Point. He should be able to point me in the right direction. Will keep you informed.

Regards
miles

No surprise that region holds lot os fish with that geographical appearance.

Good shooting Miles! Looks like them Rabitechs did some damage:D What type of reel do you have on that Apex? Is it the Rabitech reel? I'm thinking about putting one on my 120.

Gracias,

Hiya Rolando

Thanx!!! Reel is the Omer Pelagic 100. Works great. Fits with-out any modifications to my Rabitech.

I've also got a Rabitech Pelagic reel. Also very nice. Very solidly built and also slides onto the barrel with-out interfering with the rail. It is kept in place by two screws which go into the barrel. The nice thing about it is that the reel is easily removed when not needed. No tools necessary.

Both reels are very good, its just that the Omer looks just so wicked!!!!!!

Regards
miles

Anybody up for a dive?? South African style!!!

Hiya

Anybody up for a dive???

This was taken in Simons Town Harbour. I mean, you haven't even launched your boat yet and then get this surprise!!!
Beautiful!!!!:D :D

Attachments

• gw simons town 2.jpg
    gw simons town 2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 600
Reactions: Baur
again....

Attachments

• gw simons town 1.jpg
    gw simons town 1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 595
another angle

Attachments

• gw simons town 3.jpg
    gw simons town 3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 571
Yet again!!

Attachments

• gw simons town 4.jpg
    gw simons town 4.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 566
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT