• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Class is now in session

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Boat trip -wise most often the clown at the desk at the harbor will have the presumed site(s) and the main focus of the dive(s), be it photo, lobster, General Purpose, etc... About the only agenda I could see that might be a drag for you would be in the first few days of October when lobster season opens. Diving for lobster or "bugs" means a lot of moving around, both by the divers and by the boat. If you're off over there in lala-land and the boat needs to split, well you might hear a few grumbles from the gung-ho schmucks out for their self declared deserved limit of crustaceans. Bugger 'em.

But when you think about it, you'd not be going all over Hell and breakfast far from the boat so you'd be able to hear the stern crew give a yell and you'd be smooth. Photo dives need only concern you as far as the photographers, and most wise spearos get bent over anybody working up current of them, stirring up the silt or voiding their bladders. :naughty As far as too much gear on the boat, hey it's up to the diver to get his/her crap safely stowed and arranged to have handed over or up. Your concern is safely enjoying the trip. And that's where the "Howdy" to the crew comes in...

Tell the boat's Captain(s) what you're there for. There will be a little "Hi and how the heck are ya" from the crew after the first splash of the anchor outlining the routines and anything funny in the way of how to get called back in the event of an emergency. After that, get a hold of the DM or better yet the safety diver who will most likely be lounging against the mask rinse basin and bid him/her a fond hello and ask where the fun is at that particular spot. Most clowns on a boat are all rah-rah and "been there" so the notion of having someone roll up and ask is pretty appealing to a guy that has to hang out in a surf suit all day. As you'll be cruising the outer edges of the kelp beds and in plain sight, you're one less body to have to track bubble-wise and one less body to sit is always a smooth thing. You might want to take a stroll by the dock to see the goings-on and speak with the crew after all the hoopla of offloading and cleaning has been done. This is the busiest time for a crew but afterwards, just siddle on over and ask away.

And this is the key to not looking like a gremmie- ASK QUESTIONS... OF EVERYBODY. The leaders of the dive club there just didn't happen to get elected because of their stunning good looks. Well I did, but anyways much as a stern crew will appreciate some humility, so will any other diver interested in seeing that you are safe around them. End of story. It's the idiots that pose and fake it and don't ask that get hurt.

Last edited:
Thank you, Sven. This is great info for me, and I can see that most of the newbie-jitters have to do w/ a bit of hesitation w/ questions, the classic inner 'boy am I gonna look dumb for not knowing this...' One may never know which question might be 'the' critical one. In this light, the Ego is just ballast ;)
With that firmly in mind (or in check)....I'm gonna call one of our 'senior' members who kindly gave me carte blanche to call anytime. The Green One has some research to do........
Thank you for explaining the situation w/ Boat-dives, Sven.

"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius…"

Last edited:
Reactions: icarus pacific
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT