• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Closed cell suit advice!! Help please!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

haymad

Apr 8, 2016
So... I have always used open cell suits while spearing or freediving. At my new job, I am doing spearfishing tours and diving/shark tours almost everyday. When busy, I do about 4 to 5 tours a day. I only have small breaks throughout the day in between tours to eat and drink water before I go out again. Putting on a closed cell suit is no worries for me but doing it over and over each day is costing me a lot of conditioner and is starting to get to be a pain in the ass. It would be a lot less of a pain in the ass if I didn't have to lube up each time 4 times a day (not to mention i'm in the pants from 9am to 730pm). My solution would be to get a closed cell suit that I don't care about beating up at work and don't need lube to get on. I am a diver and I don't want a surf suit. Anyone have any advice on a good closed cell suit??? Something like the SEAC Royal HD? Only need 3.5mm. Def need a chest pad and must have a hood. Open cell around wrists and ankles would be nice but thats kinda dreaming... Thanks for any help!!!

Hi Haymad,the Seac Sub looks like a good suit. I have used the Adreno Invisy-skin 3mm, which doesn't look quite as refined as Seac with its smooth skin seals. One bit of advice no matter what the lined suit you buy, use a lubricant behind your knees and under your arms. The lining may not feel abrasive but if I had take this advice when I started working on a commercial Trochus harvesting boat I would have saved a lot a pain. Spending all day in a lined suit will wear tiny thin spots in your skin in those places which will become ulcerated and increase in size the longer you work. We used "Neat 3B" which is marketed for people with chaffing problems in private areas. Good luck.

In my experience a lined suit is only easier to put on when it, and I, are dry. When one or the other is wet open cell and lube is better for me.

I think you misunderstand what I am trying to refer to. I to use open cell for comfort in recreation (and a large volume of lubricant to don) but when I was wearing a work suit all day 6-8 consecutive days for seven hours, closed cell (which have a micro fibre lining) as you have concluded are a more resilient and convenient option. It is the continual rubbing of this fibre lining against your skin, in areas like behind your knees that will suffer abrasion. This is mostly due to the folding of the suit and the local use of medicated (anti bacterial lubricant) reduces skin loss and prevents sea ulcers. Hope this helps.

Andrew, thanks for the reply mate. Thanks again for the advice about using a bit of lube in certain spots. I would have never thought to use that seeing that I can wear a surf suit all day and have never gotten any sores. Ill def monitor the spots you mention for rubbing. Cheers!

NoFair, I'm only looking at lined suits for this job I have. Of course an open cell is the best but do you wear yours for 8 hour days? Thanks for the reply mate!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT