• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

co Kerry freedive/ spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mox1968

Sep 8, 2008
Hi ,

I live in Co Kerry and am looking to see if anyone would be interested in trying out freediving/ spearfishing from the area. I am a blow in from Scotland and surf fairly regularly and have a PADI open water qualification.
have not really any freediving or spearfishing experience but looking to see if there are any like minded individuals interested in having a go or whether there are any clubs or experienced people in the area??

really????
Nobody at all !!!!! It amazes me that kerry with some of the most beautiful coastline in Europe , great surf etc and hardly anyone is into water sports here !!!

Hi.
All the spearos I know are using Facebook mostly. There are few guys living in Kerry, and I think you can easily join them in the water. There is a Spanish guy, former competition team member, who could give you some spearfishing lessons and he’s running an online spearfishing shop as well...
“Spearfishing and angling in Ireland”
Call them asap, as we have extremely good water conditions so far, and it’s not common even in summer...

Anyone train or dive down by West Cork direction? Just came home after a year in NZ, after getting hooked into the diving and spearfishing, would love to find someone to buddy with for the summer months.

Hey folks, I'm in East cork but go to a few spots in West cork sporadically, would like to go more frequently, have you started?

A bit late, but I live in west cork and just got into spearfishing this summer. If you’re around, give me a shout if you’re still around!
Max

A bit late, but I live in west cork and just got into spearfishing this summer. If you’re around, give me a shout if you’re still around!
Max
Hi Max,

Still around though havent gotten started with it really. I recently bought all the gear though , the suit and all so Im definitely going to make a go of it next season. Covid etc has put a block on anything this year. Give me a shout for coming season and I will be up for a meet up.

Hi Max,

Still around though havent gotten started with it really. I recently bought all the gear though , the suit and all so Im definitely going to make a go of it next season. Covid etc has put a block on anything this year. Give me a shout for coming season and I will be up for a meet up.
Grand!
Sounds good. I’m close to the water so might try a couple of winter dives when I get gear. Looking forward to a meet up. Any recommendations on good suits?
Max

Grand!
Sounds good. I’m close to the water so might try a couple of winter dives when I get gear. Looking forward to a meet up. Any recommendations on good suits?
Max
I got an Omer suit suit 7mm. Not 100 percent sure whether its good or bad yet but was told by another lad in kerry stick with 7mm

7mm top and 5mm pants are good all year round.
I’m using Epsealon, and as the size suits me well, I’m happy with it.
subandcast.com is the website where most of us order our equipment.
There are some chance to get some fish during winter as well.:)

Reactions: mox1968
Amazing. Is it stupid to go in for a polo sub? I'm a big fan of buying good and buying once! But also I'm yet to spear a good fish so perhaps I need to earn it! Also, 5mm vs 7mm, someone else reccomended 5mm for all year down here...
Perhaps we could get a West Cork pint on in December and hatch a plan if there are a few heads down this way??
Max

Amazing. Is it stupid to go in for a polo sub? I'm a big fan of buying good and buying once! But also I'm yet to spear a good fish so perhaps I need to earn it! Also, 5mm vs 7mm, someone else reccomended 5mm for all year down here...
Perhaps we could get a West Cork pint on in December and hatch a plan if there are a few heads down this way??
Max
We,ll need to see if this lockdown allows for a car journey !!!!!

Hi Guys, I'm also Cork based and would be delighted to do a group spear dive. Let me know if you all want to plan something.

Anyone train or dive down by West Cork direction? Just came home after a year in NZ, after getting hooked into the diving and spearfishing, would love to find someone to buddy with for the summer months
How did you get on with finding a diving and spearfishing buddy? I'm just starting to get interested in freediving, and would love to find some other folks to do it with! I'm based in Cork city.

Hi all, there is a whatsapp group for free divers in Cork, message me on whatsapp if you want me to add you +353 89 457 4335 :)

personally am eager to get out a bit more free diving, and happy to buddy with a spearo

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT