• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

CO2 'theory' question

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

OceanAfrica

Aug 10, 2011
Hey everyone,

I've got a question about levels of CO2 before and during a dive. I think I'm doing my constant weight dives (and pool dives, for that matter) with way too little C02.

Am I correct in saying:

Above average C02 levels prior to a dive will ensure a heightened dive reflex - but will make the dive 'harder' with earlier contractions?

And...

Below average C02 levels prior to a dive will ensure an easier dive for about two-thirds of the total dive, but with earlier samba's and blackout?

If anyone could explian the basic theory behind this - or direct me to a thread that does, that would be great.

For my constant weight dives right now, I think my breathe-ups leave me with too little C02, and I'm having sambas on quite a few of my dives...:duh

Above average C02 levels prior to a dive will ensure a heightened dive reflex - but will make the dive 'harder' with earlier contractions?
Well, the scientists claim tha CO2 has little or no impact on diving reflex. See for example the following post of Dr. thread
http://forums.deeperblue.com/beginn...-technique-diving-environment.html#post837626
or the document Arterial blood gas changes and the d... [Aust J Exp Biol Med Sci. 1971] - PubMed - NCBI

However, that claim contradicts the expereince of many freedivers, and especially FRC divers, so personally I'd like to see a more detailed study on it before really believing it.

Below average C02 levels prior to a dive will ensure an easier dive for about two-thirds of the total dive, but with earlier samba's and blackout?
Yes, more or less. All depends on the level of hyperventilation. There are many different factors involved, so a very light hyperventilation may increase oxygen stores (primarily in venous blood), but with the level increasing the negative effects take over and the hypoxic threashold becomes more and more critical, meaning you will indeed suffer samba/BO earlier than you otherwise would. You will find many details here in several threads here on DB - just type "hyperventilation" into the search box. Even better may be searching in the Science subforum, or using the advanced search and searchin in thread titles only.

Am I correct in saying:

And...

I would say you are exactly correct-- you should try to keep reducing the amount of breathing until you are unable to complete the dive due to overwhelming urge to breathe. In order to do this, keep the depth the same and gradually with each dive reduce your pre-dive breathing until you cannot anymore.

With proper (low) breathing, most divers get a significant urge to breathe at 30m on the descent, which fades from 40-50m then starts to get worse and worse after 60m. If you reach the bottom with no urge to breathe, then you breathed way too much and a blackout is likely.

You should also get contractions for the entire ascent.

Hey guys thanks for the response and info!

Really going to focus on breathing up for more C02 on my next dives. I feel a lot of potential dive is being 'wasted' with the way I breath up...and its as if I'm developing a habit of samba'ing on every dive. So looking forward to experimenting.

Cheers,
Paul

Eric how much of a difference do you think snorkel breathing prevents the lowering of to much co2. You still breathup through snorkel dont you?

Eric,

you never had problems with cold water and contractions at depth ?
I already get squeezed when i get contractions at 40m ( 4 degree water at that depth ) ..... but have no problem at all when my BU prevents the contractions down there ...

Tommy

Your body's respiratory drive is governed by a) increasing levels of co2 and b) hypoxia.

Your body is very sensitive to co2 drive, but nowhere near as sensitive to hypoxia. This is -apparently- why after expelling a large amount of c02 via hyperventilation, you fail to realise that you are running out of o2, hence, blackout.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT