• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cobia day

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mrfish87

Mar 29, 2005
Got this a couple weeks ago rig diving off Louisiana USA in the Gulf of Mexico. It was just under 50 pounds and right after the picture was taken the shaft pulled out onto the slip tip and the fish went absolutely crazy.
Screenshot_20171221-111602.png

Reactions: marcelo cunha
Very nice!

I've noticed that same thing with yellowtail in California. The fish isn't fighting all that hard until the shaft slides out and its on the slip tip cable, but then it goes nuts. I think I'm going to try floppers for yellowtail next year, but stick with slip tips for white sea bass since they have soft flesh. But I suppose cobia would bend a lot of flopper shafts. I used to shoot them as a teen ager in Florida, and I recall that they were very strong.

I had the same problem with a dogtooth tuna last month. A we bit bigger than the one in my avitar. I had dived on a 70 kg fish which was interested in my flasher when I spotted the big girl comming up to investigate also. I hit her well & knew the point had fully penetrated her & that the slip tip would be free on the other side. She went into the shakes on her side immediately. I thought I had her & all I needed to do was get her through a couple of dozen sharks, so I swam over to the rig line & grabbed it as I started to ascend. When I but pressure on the line & could feel the weigth of the fish I could also feel as the spear pulled through the body the fish came to life & both floats then dissapeared below me in an instant. I feel that the spear must have been sitting against a nerve on the spine & when I pulled it through so only the cable was left it took the pressure off a nerve. As a side note I was also using an 11/32 spear, I feel that a 3/8 spear delivers much more "knock out" energy which can't be discounted. I'm dropping the 11/32 spears & going back to 3/8 on all my big guns in future as a result of this & a few similar incidents.

Very strong but soft anywhere other than the head area. Any low shot usually pulls out on slip tip or flopper. They always manage to get that leverage. They were thick that day and we were able to take time for good shots. Probably saw 50 fish from 25 to 50 pounds on 4 dives.

I'm a complete believer in using heavy shafts. I believe they do hit harder and that little extra diameter might just hold on that spine shot.

Reactions: sharkey
i try for head sbots, my gun is quite accurate which helps. The Bull sharks here go crazy if you have one that wigs out. My buddy lost a nice one that way, three bulls went after it before he could pull it in.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT