• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Comparison of 32 freediving computers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
Comparative review of 37 freediving computers

You already probably know that I am a data and statistics junkie, so it won't be any surprise that over the time I collected also plenty of data about all the freediving computers that are available on the market. And there are many of them, indeed. I may not have them all yet, but so far I have detailed data sheets of 32 computers that have a dedicated freediving mode.

They are split into three groups:
  1. pure freediving computers built specially for freedivers, spearfishers, and snorkelers
  2. scuba computers with freediving mode - only scuba computers with dedicated freediving mode are included. The Gauge mode that is available on many other scuba watches is not really suitable for freediving, so such computers are not included in the comparison
  3. tech diving computers with freediving mode - tech computers offer additional and more advanced features than common scuba computers, and some of them do offer also a mode specially for freediving
In the basic chart listing all the 32 computers you can select up to 6 of them and compare over 100 detailed functions and features side by side, so that you can pick up the one that matches best your needs.

Approximate catalog and street prices are shown too, and there are indeed computers for every budget - beginning at around $50 up to almost $2,000.

Hope you'll find it useful. If you know about any computer that is still missing, if you find some errors or mistakes, if you want to complete the data sheets with another feature, or have any questions, do not hesitate to post your comments and feedback here or at APNEA.cz.

APNEA.cz - Freediving Computers
computers1.gif computers2.gif

Last edited:
I'll add also the possibility to add you own opinions, reviews, and ranking later. Personally, when I started researching the available options little bit more seriously, I was quite surprised to see how many possibilities there are. At such a wide choice, it is then not surprising that the companies do not invest too much effort into a really perfect freediving watch - the market is too small and the offer already big more than enough, so investing huge sums into development will barely bring any profit.

On one side it is nice the choice is wide, but on the other hand none of the computers is really perfect. The tech computers like the Galileo, X1, or OSTC come close, but are expensive and not really stylish. The standard watches are often quite elegant and even rather inexpensive, but there are still many functions they miss.

Reactions: mishu1984
Another excellent feature on your already big apnea.cz website! Great work!

Thanks for the feedback and for the reputation credits you've sent me guys!

I just added a "permalink" to the top of the comparison page, so that you can easily link to a comparison of computers you select. It will give you links in this form:

http://apnea.cz/computers.html?computerID=3,9,32,31,15,14

And I also added the possibility to filter the computers by selected features. On the comparison page, click the check-boxes near the option you consider necessary at the computer of your choice, and then click the OK button at the bottom. The page will reload and in the computer selection boxes it will only show those units that fulfill the choice of features (if there are any). You can then select up to 6 of them and compare them side by side.

I've pulled all the features from the manuals of the computer. Yes, I have read them all :duhIf you ever attempted to read a technical instructional manual, you probably wonder whether I am still sane, and frankly told I ask myself too.

Well, that told, all the listed features and functionalities are based on the published facts, so should be correct, but if anyone of you spots a mistake, or own a computer and can fill in some gaps, I'd be more than happy to hear your feedback.

For example at many computers I am missing the real dimensions. At other computers the manufacturer does not publish features like the activation depth (the depth where the computer switches from surface to dive mode and starts logging). So if you own a computer, I'd e very thankful (and others certainly too), if you could help with completing the missing data.

At some computers like the Galileo series or the X1 I do not have the access to the documentation describing the freediving mode. At X1 I will get it solved with the help of Eric, but I am not sure whether I manage to get an answer from Uwatec. I know there are some DB members who tested the Galileo, so if you have the manual (incl. the freedive mode), or know some of the missing details, please post the info. Well, I better ask in the thread about computers with a heart rate monitor, where the users discussed it

Last edited:
After completing the comparative review, I wrote all concerned manufacturers, asking them for comments, and precisions on some missing details. Frankly told I did not really expect any replies, but I just received one from Uwatec. The data-sheets of the Uwatec computers were missing a lot of data, because their manual did not describe the freediving mode, but Uwatec did not send any information or comments. They just wrote me they disapprove using of copyrighted material, and they disapprove links to non-authorized dealers.

Indeed, I included links to the Amazon store at some of the computers, and I used photos Amazon had in their store, which is perfectly in coherance with their copyright policy. But since Uwatec apparently does not want to have their products promoted in the freediving community, I was forced to remove them from the list. Well, I kept still at least the names for the reference in the list, but removed all the data and the photos. Sorry for that, and I sincerely hope other manufacturers will react less histerically.

Last edited:
Indeed it was very shocking receiving the offensive letter threatening me to remove the copyrighted material OR the links to the Amazon store. I would expect that manufacturers would be rather thankful for the free promotional boost, so the attack took me by big surprise.

I still do not understand one thing, though - if they do not wish that non-authorized dealers resell their products, why oh why do they supply them any?

Well, I've sent them the link to this thread too, and invited them to comment on their letter here, explaining their stand, so that you do not have it only from my side. Perhaps they can enlighten us better their logic.

Last edited:
Presumably there would be no problem using other photos of the Uwatec computers, or listing their features. I mean, they may get upset about it but would there be any legal problem?

Both my wife and me are keen scuba divers.
My wife is looking for a new computer, her old Aladin does not have nitrox.
The new Aladin was one she was seriously considering, no longer.
In fact , unless they do respond with a very good reason we shall never buy any of their products again.
An e-mail telling them of our decision and the reasons why will also be sent.
To treat a db member in such a shabby and offhand fashion, especially Trux, who does nothing but work hard to help people, has really annoyed me.
I shall be telling fellow scuba divers what kind of company Uwatec is and if they really want to support them by purchasing their products.

Regards,
Dave.

Reactions: trux
Presumably there would be no problem using other photos of the Uwatec computers, or listing their features. I mean, they may get upset about it but would there be any legal problem?
Yes, I do not think there would be any legal problem, but I removed the photos and the features, not because of a fear of a legal suit, but because I have no intention to promote someones products against their will.

Amazon uses the very same images, and it allows affiliates displaying their graphics when linking to their store. If Uwatec has problem with using their photos for promoting their products, they should clear it first with Amazon. And as well, there are hundreds of online stores using the very same photos when selling those computers. It would be foolish to ask every retailer to make his own photos, and it is completely counterproductive from the side of Uwatec.

Additionally, Uwatec tells they don't approve the links to non-authorized resellers. That's even weirder. Where do the non-authorized resellers get the computers from when not either directly from Uwatec, or from one of their authorized distributors? So by disapproving those non-authorized resellers they are shooting themselves into the leg, I'd tell.

Fortunately not all manufacturers reacted in the same way as Uwatec. Eric Fattah from Liquivision, in contrary to Uwatec, offered appreciation and help, and hopefully I'll be able to present the X1 much better in some time. I should be able also describing better its open platform, and exploit the possibility to write custom firmware.

Last edited:
Dave, thanks for the support. Perhaps it is still premature to call for boycott of Uwatec. Their products are definitely good, and the Galileos with integrated heart-rate monitor quite interesting for an enthusiast freediver. Myself I owned one of the early Aladins. I still hope that the letter I got came from some lower grade officer who did not really think before sending it. Let's hope they'll comment either publicly or emailing me. If it happens, I'll post about it here.

Thank you Trux for your list. Its very helpful. I was looking for new computer for freediving for a long time and now based on comparsion side by side i decided to go to Tusa IQ-900 (instead D4 or Aeris F.10). Maybe i can send u some "user experience comments" to your list after i test it (because nobody did not review freedive mod yet).

Although I have no personal experience with this computer, I think your choice is very good. And yes, any feedback is very much appreciated, so do not hesitate to post it here, or at APNEA.cz, or sending privately if you prefer.

The freedive mode is identical to all other Pelagic computers (Aeris, Oceanic, Tusa), including the long time established Geo and Geo 2, so there should be no major problem. The Aeris F.10 is very close in functionality too - it has only few minor improvements.

Additionally, unlike F.10, it does freedive, scuba, and nitrox deco too.

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for the very useful freedive computer database, it's great to do comparisons on your website.
Two questions though, how did you name the "continuous countdown" timing feature?
Second, sometimes I see "30s" at a feature such a dive time alarm, instead of the V or X, what does this mean?

Too bad that most computers don't go beyond 100m, though there are not many divers going that deep, I wonder what computers they were using at competitions such as at Vertical blue, where more than half a dozen divers dive deeper than 100m.

Two questions though, how did you name the "continuous countdown" timing feature?
This feature is under "dive time interval alarm", but I'll probably change it to "interval alarm" or "repetitive alarm" only, because often it is indeed simply a repetitive or continuous countdown alarm, and not always it is started in the same way as the basic dive time alarm. Or perhaps I should make two separate features from it, but in some cases it is not quite clear from the documentation whether the alarm is started with the dive mode, or whether it is a user triggered countdown timer.

Second, sometimes I see "30s" at a feature such a dive time alarm, instead of the V or X, what does this mean?
In these cases the alarm is available, but factory set to the given value and cannot be changed by the user. It is mostly at the Pelagic computers, which have the 30s recurring dive time alarm, so the 30s is then used both at the dive time alarm, and at the interval dive time alarm.

Too bad that most computers don't go beyond 100m, though there are not many divers going that deep, I wonder what computers they were using at competitions such as at Vertical blue, where more than half a dozen divers dive deeper than 100m.
Some of the computers cases are rated much deeper (often 200m), but do not display the depth below 100m. I believe that at record attempts they often use D9's with D4 firmware. D9's are rated deeper.

PS: I've just changed the values at the factory set recurring alarms a bit, so that it is hopefully more apparent what it means.

The "dive time interval alarm", aka continuous countdown is one of my favourite pool freedive functions. In my D3 I can set it with increments of seconds. Do I get you right when your description reads (fixed 30s) that it means I can only set times such as 30s, 1', 1'30" etc?

In my D3 it is a stopwatch function, not related to diving at all, which is nice for training 16x50m.

BTW has the D9 a freedive mode? If yes, another one to add for our beloved data junky :D

Thanks,

Kars

The "dive time interval alarm", aka continuous countdown is one of my favourite pool freedive functions. In my D3 I can set it with increments of seconds. Do I get you right when your description reads (fixed 30s) that it means I can only set times such as 30s, 1', 1'30" etc?
Not exactly. In fact you cannot set any times at all. All you can do in such case is either activating it or not. If active, if will beep each 30s at the computers with the fix time. You can only adjust the interval at the computers which do not have the interval fixed.

In my D3 it is a stopwatch function, not related to diving at all, which is nice for training 16x50m.
The stopwatch feature is listed too. Most of the computers have it. Additionally, Pelagic computers have a memory for 9 laps, while at Suunto you can only temporarily see the split time for a few seconds, and it is not stored into memory, so in fact it is not very hepful for recording lap times (you'd need to note them on a paper)

BTW has the D9 a freedive mode? If yes, another one to add for our beloved data junky :D
No, D6 and D9 do not have any freedive mode, but apparently Suunto made some custom versions, or simply just loaded the D4 firmaware on the D9. So unless, there is a way for an ordinary mortal, other than Herbert, to get to D9 with the freedive firmware, I will not list it :)

Computers at VB were D4s with software that allowed them to read deeper than 100m

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT