• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

COMPETITION: Fish of the Month (Channel Islands)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stephan Whelan

Papa Smurf
Staff member
Admin
Jan 7, 1999
We are proud to announce that a new series of competitions are being announced here on DeeperBlue.net - the Fish of the Month!

The idea of the competition is to have a friendly little monthly competition for our regional members and give them a chance to win some prizes and kudos!

The overall competition is being sponsored by Spearo.co.uk for the UK and Channel Islands - Fish of the Month.

There are monthly prizes and an annual prize, all of which will be voted on by you - the members.

So without further ado - here are the details for the Channel Islands Fish of the Month Competition:

Start Date
Entries will be accepted from 1st April (and no - this isn't an April Fools).

The Rules
  1. All entries must be captured whilst freediving. Breathing apparatus other than a snorkel is not permitted.
  2. Entrant must have posted at least 5 times at or before the last day of the previous month to the current competition.
  3. All entries to be accompanied by a photo. The photo must contain an item (e.g. a local newspaper) dated on the date of the catch.
  4. All species are included except scallops(crabs and lobsters are OK) and BSA minimum size limits should be observed.
  5. All entries must be in by 23:59hrs GMT on 2nd of following month. (e.g. April entries to be in by 2nd May)
  6. All winners chosen by popular vote on poll. A draw will result in the first posted entry winning
  7. Voting will last for 5 days once poll has been set up.
  8. You can enter as many times as you like every month but you will be asked to nominate which entry to forward to the poll
  9. In the event of there being 20 or more individuals entering the competition a short list of 20 will be chosen by DeeperBlue.net staff
  10. All decisions made by DeeperBlue.net staff are final
Prizes
There are numerous types of prizes. Monthly winners will get T-Shirts (either from DeeperBlue.net, Seven Tenths or Fourth Element). The annual prize is being donated from Spearo.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it that day or night is ok ? And shore or boat too?

Thanks
Ed

Yep, all fine. The members decide what wins so its not neccessarily the "best" fish. For myself I'd vote for a smaller fish with a good story or effort gone into getting it over a bigger fish without the story. But its up to members what they vote for :)

April entries here please: http://forums.deeperblue.net/guernsey/77100-april-fish-month.html

Last edited:
What about foriegners ?! Can visiting spearos enter or can we unanimously ban those super lucky Italian summer visitors ?! "Residents only" ?!

These comps are region/location specific so you need to be local to the area.

Anyone spearing in our local waters are permitted Ed, provided they meet all the rules like having posted at least 5 times, so Marco would be ok but his entire extended family probably wouldn't.

Just get him to go sand some walnut for you, that should nobble him rofl

Nah Tom ... think I'll go with Papa Smurf's interpretation (nothing like pushing out the friendly boundaries of internationalism :) ) To be honest I thought I'd just try to clarify that point and don't mind who enters... (as long as they have lived in Guernsey for at least eight generations preferably in the same parish and are under 4'3" :) ... or I suppose Jersey too... oh and perhaps Herm but I am guessing that we can forget Sark unless they are legally allowed to spear there as residents ?).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT