• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Competitions of the Past

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

strangelove

Mar 13, 2005
I've taken this from the other forum very cool

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/8464624]The World Spearfishing Competitions of the Past on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/8476593]The World Spearfishing Competitions of the Past: Part 2 Interview on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited:
Here's our only US World Champion Terry Lentz in 1959.
Cheers, Don Paul

Attachments

• Terry Lentz 1959 world champion.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 117
Don

Is Terry still alive ?

Amazing they dove over 80 feet with really small fins.

Don

Is Terry still alive ?

Amazing they dove over 80 feet with really small fins.

Boy I hope so... Yes here is a image of Terry and John Ernst in 03.
Terry is a Member of my club the Long Beach Neptunes.
I am just a blue water competitor but Terry Lentz is one of my favorite divers, always in top form in mind, body and health.
Del Wren dove 100 plus I believe with just one fin...now that is amazing.
Cheers, Don Paul

Attachments

• Dels-Golden_Years_09.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Del Wren.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Del Wren dove 100 plus I believe with just one fin...now that is amazing.
Cheers, Don Paul

Indeed and one small fin.

I have some footage of Amengual, he also have some kind of handcap on his left leg. I am not what it is polio ??

I somehow missed this thread!
Love those vids. anyone else got any golden oldies?

I dived against Amengual in the 70s and 80s and found him to be a really good guy, he was always willing to give me or any other lesser diver advice but was also looking and learning all the time despite already having won the worlds championship a couple of times. I read an article about him in a Spanish edition of Readers Digest once, he had polio as a young lad and the doctor told him to take up swimming! The rest is history. Well done on the old film, fascinating footage.

Reactions: strangelove
Hey Eric, i just loved your book too in fact I am going to re read it starting tonight.

Thanks Eric,

I have another video of Amengual diving against Renzo and another french man, all doing amazing stuff - diving down 40 meters - I think, I will ripping that to disk file and posting (I never did this before - I will try).

What is the name of the book ?

Amazing stuff! Great to see the History and hear about Legends!

Did I understand correctly ,
that man is seventy five ,
can do a hundred press-ups ,
still dives to 60 ft/ 18m ,
and has one leg ?
I am completely in awe , what an inspiring guy .
Now I'll have to get off my fat ass and start training or I'll feel like a lazy wuss .
Thanks for posting the vid's .

Regards ,
Dave .

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…