• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Competitions: who what when where

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spaghetti

Campari Survivor
May 31, 2005
Curious for the curious: links to all stats and rankings (individuals and national teams) of the spearfishing World and Euro championships from the 50's to nowadays.
What surprised me was discovering that Jersey and Guernsey had their own national teams in the Euro Champs in the 70's. And they did pretty good.
World champs hall of fame:
GARE DI PESCA IN APNEA - CAMPIONATI MONDIALI
European champs hall of fame:
GARE DI PESCA IN APNEA - CAMPIONATI EURO-AFRICANI

Reactions: foxfish and Marwan
What surprised me was discovering that Jersey and Guernsey had their own national teams in the Euro Champs in the 70's. And they did pretty good.

It seems Italy won a few times. Did they get lucky spaghetti? Who this Mazzarri Renzo chap it seems he got lucky three times in a row. rofl

I am curious about Renzo Mazzarri as I have not heard much about him. Please fill us in (besides the part about that he from Tuscon and Italy ;)).

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
It seems Italy won a few times. Did they get lucky spaghetti? Who this Mazzarri Renzo chap it seems he got lucky three times in a row. rofl

I am curious about Renzo Mazzarri as I have not heard much about him. Please fill us in (besides the part about that he from Tuscon and Italy ;)).

James I understand that his name hit your eye: Renzo Mazzarri is probably the greatest "competition hound" in the history of spearfishing.
He won three World champioships in a row, then a 6th place and then...:rcard
Incredibly, his carreer sustained a sudden stop after the Perù WC, when our UW sports Federation refused to renew his health certificate, claiming he wasn't physically fit and safe anymore for competitions. The health certificate is necessary to take part to Cmas competitions, so he had to quit.

Well, our federation made a big mistake.

Indeed, in 2003, when he was already a man in his fifties, Mazzarri came back to competitions at the annual" Spearfishing Champions' league", which is a comp for old glories hel every year in Greece, (actually first class old glories: to be entitled to join in, you must have been a national champion, an ex member of your country's national team, or a winner of a major Europe's Cup competition).
Well, how did it end? The "physically unfit" Renzo Mazzarri, in couple with another "old glory" Riccardo Molteni, both sponsored by C4, has won three editions of the Champions' League in 2003, 2004 (second place in 2005) and 2006 (second place in 2007). Incredible for a man of his age.
By the way, the "League" is not an official Cmas competition, otherwise he could not take part because "physically unfit" for Cmas.
Two years ago there had been rumors he was invited to the Fipsa "alternative" world champs in Brazil but he preferred not to go.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT