• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Confused on First speargun to buy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

yulichenlu

Sep 23, 2020
Hello! "
I am going to buy first speargun and I need some help!
Been having fun with spearpole, and I think it is time to upgrade!
Looking for a 100cm gun (im 180 cm , 92 kg). Reef game, a bit further to staring blue water sometimes. Visibility , sometimes to 8-12m;.
Currently a student and therefore poor, the cheaper, yet works well would be good (trying to know which is the sweet spot). In taiwan each person can only have 2 spearguns under their name, so im trying to make the first one count (i cant own a lot by law)

If you have experience with these guns, or information, please let me know! Or what i need to look out for?

Options, comes with reel line:

1. Omer ET 100 , 249 dollars (cheap, but rarely hear people suggest omer) - i think its a basic type of speargun?
2. mvd zeso speargun 100 (looks neat, but theres too few information) 290 dollars
3. Pathos sniper pro, (they only have 95cm) 297 dollars - but heard super accurate?
4. hero beuchat 100 (not carbon) , 426 dollars, getting pricy
5. Salvimar hero 497 dollars (expensive, but its an option)

I am in taiwan, and these are prices from cheapest to most expensive from 3 local shops.

Reactions: MarcKeu
You mention your size but not your typical visibility conditions and prey, which are usually more important considerations. How did you decide on a speargun length of 100cm?

At least 2 of the spearguns you mention are roller spearguns, which would not be my recommendation for a first speargun.

If you go for a roller, it can be advantageous to go a little shorter than you might choose a non-roller speargun. For example, a Cornish spearo might opt for a 90cm speargun (80-100cm) but might reasonably consider a roller speargun with a shorter, say, 75cm barrel - which could cover similar ground to regular spearguns in the range 75-100+cm, in theory.

The Beuchat hero us a nice option but is massively over priced at £400+ IMHO, esp. W/o a carbon barrel!

I like, use and recommend Omer spearguns. Pathos sniper and MVD sound interesting. I wonder if a 100cm roller speargun might be too big and bulky for your needs though? Depends on visibility and prey to some extent.

You mention your size but not your typical visibility conditions and prey, which are usually more important considerations. How did you decide on a speargun length of 100cm?

At least 2 of the spearguns you mention are roller spearguns, which would not be my recommendation for a first speargun.

If you go for a roller, it can be advantageous to go a little shorter than you might choose a non-roller speargun. For example, a Cornish spearo might opt for a 90cm speargun (80-100cm) but might reasonably consider a roller speargun with a shorter, say, 75cm barrel - which could cover similar ground to regular spearguns in the range 75-100+cm, in theory.

The Beuchat hero us a nice option but is massively over priced at £400+ IMHO, esp. W/o a carbon barrel!

I like, use and recommend Omer spearguns. Pathos sniper and MVD sound interesting. I wonder if a 100cm roller speargun might be too big and bulky for your needs though? Depends on visibility and prey to some extent.
The visibility here can be sometimes very clear, i can see around 10m often down the water.
is omer et a good gun? its cheap , but its basic.

yes i just noticed yesterday they are roller, but the seller has a non roller version which is cheaper.

As far as Beuchat hero, he told he can order it for me, if i wait it can be 300 dollars with reel/ and bag (2 months shipment)

The visibility here can be sometimes very clear, i can see around 10m often down the water.
is omer et a good gun? its cheap , but its basic.

yes i just noticed yesterday they are roller, but the seller has a non roller version which is cheaper.

As far as Beuchat hero, he told he can order it for me, if i wait it can be 300 dollars with reel/ and bag (2 months shipment)
btw , What spearguns have you used? or bought?

pro cons?

Don't get the omer et. From the options you're mentioning, I would get the MVD. 100 cm is a good starting size. Can't you get Rob Allen in your country? If so, I strongly recommend the Snapper model. Very good overall speargun.

Or Rabitech/Mako, which are similar to RA and are, I believe, are made in Taiwan.

If you want a roller speargun an 80/ 90/100 Rob Allen could be quite versatile. Even a regular non-roller RA railgun will be be quite powerful. Power isn't the be all and end all though, at least not where I spear.

Re. Visibility, I have experienced very clear conditions, possibly even 10m, in Dorset but it is quite rare where I go. On such a day, a 90-110cm barreled speargun might be quite reasonable but most of the time a 70-75cm seems like the better option (60cm sometimes but perhaps better not to dive under those conditions! :D ).

Last edited:
Right, without having used them, new Mako spearguns look very good. And Rabitech look like the old Mako version, which they still sell.

I've been using the MVD parts for the last couple years (handle, muzzle, and reel). I've stuck with the MVD handle since it works nicely with roller guns, but can be used for classic banded guns. I've had no issues with any of MVD's equipment and, specifically, no issue with their reverse mechanism (no scratching or galling of the mech's components).

I have a friend that uses an 85 cm Omer and loves that gun. He's spears pretty much anything he wants. I believe they come with the America One shaft. Probably one of the straightest shafts on the market.

I've heard good things about Mako's Titan Elite guns. They have a roller gun out now too. majdq8 posted a review on youtube with great shooting from the classic band setup.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT