• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Congrats Skindiver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Griff

Certified SCUBA Rider
May 7, 2002
Skindiver won the South African freediving Nationals this last weekend. congrats skin, you knew you had it in you;)

cheers
mark

Well done mate!! Are the results online?

Keep up the good work!! :D

the results can be viewed on our website.

Also there, is the graphs of all the dives
that the guys and girls did.

http://www.freediving.co.za
look on the right hand side of the main page,
or go into the EVENTS section.

herman

Reactions: Griff
Yay!!

Yes Griffo i did it :)

But i must say it could have been won by any of three or four competitors.
Herman had an unfortunate DQ for taking too long to remove his mask and signal. Deep Dragon did an awesome 5. 29 static and if he had been successful on his dive i would have been toast.
The others were all within striking distance.

It took some risky static manouvering to pull it off. The worst part of the comp was waiting for the last guy to do his static. i nominated a 4.05 hoping to go last but not set myself too much of a target to reach as my statics are unpredictable.

I was out bid and went second last. However, he would have had to do a 5.24 to catch up the lead i had in points thanks to a good 52m dive. Not quite the lead i wanted though, as the bottom was at 52m ( the water table had dropped and we could not get the 54m we were all hoping for)

The guy before me did a 5. 11 and if i didnt do 4. 30 plus i would be shelved even before the last guy went.
So i was sandwiched between a good static and a potentially better one.

But 5. 02 sec and the most comfortable static of my life later the cookie crumbled my way and the rest is history.

Many thanks for all the kind words. I love this sport and the people that train, support and compete with me and this result was more a testament to keeping it together mentally than anything else.

Skin. aka pre 60m / pre 6min man.

PS. You must do 50m +. Its awesome down there.

Reactions: icarus pacific
If I do 50m, you're going to have to teach me how. :)
Karma IOU, i need to spread more around.
congrats also to Herman for touching the bottom. pitty they DQ'd you.
cheers
mark

thanks Griff.

Sometimes, you feel to good after a dive,
and you TOTALLY forget about the 20 seconds
thing !

Just shows you again.
Think your dive through before you dive,
and include the 20 seconds.
I visualized my dive x times before I left surface,
but my visual stopped after surfacing.

...i will never forget this again...

Like Skin said....we need a deeper divespot !

.man

Reactions: loopy
Outstanding gentlemen! I am happy for you both; just showing up takes balls, and the result is always good....you get to hang out with other freedivers, shoot the s##t, and dive.
Sounds like you guys had a good competition.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Last edited:
Herman,

Can you tell me what Monica Hubbard's time in static was?

I don't like it when result tables say 'dq' or 'lmc' without giving the time at which the dq or lmc occured. An LMC at 9 minutes is still impressive.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Monica

This woman also runs on rocket fuel and has also just started diving. Her first comp ever was Hawaii, believe it or not. She trained from 'green' about a month before. She was recruited and brought up to speed from underwater hockey so that the girls could have a complete 3 person team.

She had a slight hand / head wobble at 5.09. She did 4: 58 in Hawaii. ( probably her 10th static ever in her life and the first in competition. ) She probably just went for her mask too soon .

Greg. "skin."

Hi Eric

I agree with posting the times, even if
there was an LMC or SAMBA,
so I have updated the results,
to show the times.

Herman

Congratulations Greg and Herman .
Happy to see things are alive and cicking back home . Keep it up guys .

Congratulations to everyone.

I'm in my first competition on Sunday (gulp!)

A question though...

Is there some correlation between experience and total dive time? I'm pretty much a newbie and tend to average about 1:10 whenever I dive between 30 and 40 metres (like Monica's graph...), but I noticed that some of you guys were pushing 1:50 for a 40 to 50 m dive.

Is it desirable to go slow or are you all just extremely laid back in SA?

I have the feeling that Eric mentioned a perfect descent speed (like a seal I think...). Is this something you are acheiving?

Cheers chaps

Al

Re: Yay!!

Originally posted by Skindiver
Yes Griffo i did it :)
But i must say it could have been won by any of three or four competitors.

Now that shows a lot of class! Very smooth!! Congrats.

sven

Speed.

Thanks Sven and others.

It seems that the average desirable speed is 1.0 m/s. A 50m dive should take 100 seconds at that rate. or 1 minute 40 seconds.

If you look at my graph you will see the descent at 50 seconds odd which is about the 1.0 m/s ( achieved with a gliding descent from 25m ) but i shaved off 20 seconds on the ascent.

If you go to thread ' Switching positively to anaerobic process'
you will see my whole 'wagga - wagga' why. I think i'm unusual in this approach. But its a calculated one for me.

As for the general correlation between speed and experience i say that newbies dive faster ( and this has its roots in a controlled panic )
As experience mounts you realise that you are not going to die and your dive slows accordingly you relax more and the dive in turn benefits etc.

I think that the better divers are the slower divers. Fast divers like me are getting a job done with minimum of apneic exposure. This may catch up to me in future on deeper dives. But then i will fix it.
I learn the hard way :)

Skin.

Well guys and gals.......just wanted to say congrats to you all. I think you all did brilliantly. And most importantly you all enjoyed yourselves doing it.
I am still recovering psychologically (sob.....sob....sob) from having to miss nationals. It was incredibly difficult trying to keep my head focused on my studies, when every time I looked at my watch I could just think of what I should have been doing at that time. Time for constant now.....time for static.......Really sad I missed it after training for a while for nationals.

Anyway, I am sure I will recover......you guys did brilliantly.......and Monica....you go girl.....there is no end to what you can achieve.....kick ass !!!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT