• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Connecting Cable to mono

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
Whats the most reliable method (strongest) method of connecting a length of 2mm stainless Steel Cable to a length of 2mm mono??

This is my last hurdle to overcome before the tuna hunting begins.

Thanks in advance

Shane

Does it need to be quickly disconnectable? If not I would use two interconnecting loops (spliced loop with crimp on the cable). Maybe put a rigging thimble on the cable loop as well

cheers

Will the mono be protected enough on the rigging thimble?

Should i use some sort of sleeve to protect the mono even further?

By the way the Bouy and the bungees are awesome

Thanks

Glad you like the buoy
I was thinking of a plastic thimble, which should just spread the load slightly, without any sharp edges, and hopefully stop the cable chafing the mono. Another option might be to use good old duct tape to wrap the cable!

cheers

Thanks

i was thinking plastic too :D

What is the difference between a normal loop and a spliced loop?

Assuming you are using 7x7 uncoated cable: unravel the cable a suitable amount so you have one bunch of 3 strands and one of 4, then snap the buches together in a loop and retwist the cable, use a crimp to tidy the ends up
I hope this makes sense without pictures!
cheers

Hiya

What about using a good quality big game fishing swivel. Pretty simple, as you then have no need to spilce the cable. Simply crimp the cable as well as the mono.

Regards
miles

No it doesn't :D
rofl rofl

Pictures would be great

Not sure where you put the 3 and the 4.

And mostly where does the crimp go after???

Yes Miles, I thought that too.

Trying to find if there were other methods

Remember this will be a 50cm strand of wire connecting the spear to the shooting line so too much bulk is not good

I cant find a picture:(
Cable splicing is covered very well in "Bluewater Hunting and Freediving" by Terry Maas
The finished spliced loop looks like a crimped loop, but cannot slip
cheers

Are cable crimps likely to slip?

In my head i can see this.

You split one end of the wire so you have seven strands. You out 3 one side and 4 the other. You bend the 4 so they engage at the base of the 3. And bend the 3 so the enter the base of the 4.

What do you do now? Twist it ?

Where does the crimp go?

The crimp is already threaded on the cable, and is in basically the same position as a normal crimped loop.
The two bunches of cable will snap together at the "top" of the loop, they can then be twisted back together. The spliced loop should look like the normal cable. The ends can also be twisted together after the crossover point at the bottom of the loop, and the resulting end tucked into the crimp.

Now i get it.

That sounds like a good method.

Also sounds like something you can screw up and bye bye tuna

Thanks for the advice

best to try with some odd bits of cable first! If it looks neat it is probably right, but test the first few trys by hanging weights on them

The Splice you are talking about is a good method of quickly joining wire, BUT you will still need to crimp the ends where they are twisted together again to reform the wire.
I would use standard Big Game fishing thimbles inside the wire as staed above and also what is known as "armour spring".
it is usually green in colour and is a tightly wound plastic coated wire spring this slips over the mono and stops it from chafing on the wire/thimble. I would also use copper crimps on the stainless wire , Aluminium tends to corrode inside where electrolysis happens, the hole gets bigger and.......

good luck

H

You could also use a heavy-duty ball-bearing swivel? It would most definitely not be weaker than any mono you'd use & the same amount of crimps would be used. :confused:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT