• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Constant under ice...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Billextreme

Grand Marshal
Dec 19, 2001
I have question about freediving under ice.

The longes dynamic under ice is 111m (without fins!!)

But... what is the deepest dive in constant under ice with fins?

I know for sure 54m is reached... already, but is there anyone else that know anything about how deep freediver's had dive in this special "discilpine"?

regards,
Bill

50m is the deepest i've heard of - by Kike. who did 54m?

i think 60m is perfectly achievable, and probably a lot more with some practice...

if you can keep warm whilst getting changed and dive with minimal warm-up then you should be able to go pretty deep - close to your PB. i think the limiting factor is likely to be equalisation, because it's so much harder in cold water.

I know this is a stupid question but here goes...

How are attempts at dynamic under this ice set up? :confused:
Do you start at this one whole and have to get to another one at fix distance or is only a part of the distance covered actually under the ice?

My best in near-ice conditions (0C air, 4C water) was 67m with two wetsuits and a heat pack, and I had air to spare. However, if I were to attempt an 'under-ice' dive, I would do it with no wetsuit, and I think I could reach basically my pb, since all my deep dives are now without wetsuits, and the temperature of the water has pretty much no effect (either way I just get in, and GO!)

Who did 111m under ice without fins? The most I heard was 57m by Wim Hof of Netherlands with a samba/BO (no wetsuit).

when i dived in Sweden earlier this year the water under the ice was 3C, so Eric's dive to 67m in 4C certainly suggests that 60m+ (or even 70m+) is achievable. diving to 60m+ in truly freezing water (0C sea water) is probably a lot harder though...

i've managed 62m in 5C - but that was limited by equalisation. the problem i have is getting a good enough mouthfill when i have 7mm of neoprene over my cheeks and jaw.... keeping the air in with numb lips can be a problem also! :hmm

Bill- are you thinking about attempting a record?

Hi,

NICOLA BRISCHIGIARO is the one with 111m in dyn under ice, without fins.
http://www.nicolabrischigiaro.com/profilo.html

I've done 54m a 4-5 times in CWT under ice, in a stone-mine, (the bottom)
...and we had minus 1 in the surface water, and about 25cm ice thickness.

the reason that I wan't this info is my site, apneamania.com
http://www.apneamania.com/code/worldrec_main.asp?typeID=spr&specID=amap

...is the specific side... for this.

And if you know or can help me to get trustful info about under-ice diving, please help me

best regards,
Bill

i thought 111m with no fins under ice by a woman was really impressive considering the world record in a swimming pool... but after visiting the website i discovered Nicola is a man! still very impressive of course.

54m in -1C is really good! maybe that really is the deepest anyone has been under ice. i'm guessing there aren't many people who practice this. no-one has done it in Canada, otherwise Eric would know about it. that leaves only Scandinavian countries really? maybe check with the Finnish divers?

How is it then that Christian Redl did 90m under ice, with fins, and claimed to have beaten Nicola's 85m under ice with fins record? Am I confusing something?

he refers to a 111m dynamic on his website...

"A settembre dello stesso anno, al Circolo della Stampa di Torino Nicola stabilisce il nuovo record del mondo di apnea lineare a rana subacquea (111m in 2’12" - RAI)."

i don't know any Italian, but i can't see any obvious reference to ice there.

but what about this?...

"Nel 1997 realizza una nuova impresa di apnea sotto il ghiaccio (60m lineari in 1’22" RAI e MEDIASET) durante la quale, le consuete equipes che compiono ricerche e sperimentazioni sono seguite dall’occhio attento anche dall’Agenzia Spaziale Europea in persona del Prof. Franco Rossitto all’epoca Direttore della divisione astronauti dell’E.S.A."

does ghiaccio mean ice?... so maybe he did 60m under ice back in 97? can anyone who speaks Italian translate this and tell us what he's done?

hmm.. your right. BRISCHIGIARO best under ice is 85m... Two Italien freedivers told me that this Nicola did 111m under ice, without fins. But now when I translate the text on his page, it looks like they mixed two different "records".

Soo, Christian Redl 90m is the best I know right know.

regards,
Bill

Courtesy of Babel fish:

Alun said:
"A settembre dello stesso anno, al Circolo della Stampa di Torino Nicola stabilisce il nuovo record del mondo di apnea lineare a rana subacquea (111m in 2’12" - RAI)."
"To september of the same year, to the Circle of Stampa of Turin Nicholas RAI establishes the new record of the world of linear apnea to underwater frog (111m in 2' 12" -)."

Alun said:
"Nel 1997 realizza una nuova impresa di apnea sotto il ghiaccio (60m lineari in 1’22" RAI e MEDIASET) durante la quale, le consuete equipes che compiono ricerche e sperimentazioni sono seguite dall’occhio attento anche dall’Agenzia Spaziale Europea in persona del Prof. Franco Rossitto all’epoca Direttore della divisione astronauti dell’E.S.A."
"In 1997 new enterprise of apnea under the ice (60m linear in 1' 22 realizes one" RAI and MEDIASET) during which, customary equipes that they complete the searches and experimentations are continuations from the careful eye also from the Agency Space them European in person of the Frank Prof. Rossitto to the age Director of the division astronauts of the E.S.A."

Now it is all much clearer. :duh

soo... there is no-one that know anything about freediving result under ice.

hmmm

regards,
Bill

Hi guys!

My name is Domagoj
This is my first post,and I will start here.

Bill,do you have witness,saftey or someone who can confirm what you did?
I know that you did only for training or just to dive under the Ice!

The reason I`m asking is because,Kike did 5o C.w.,and he is on the N. Pole right now,doing 50+ - today.
Before that,he told everybody( in Croatia),that he is world record holder in c.w. under Ice,and he will beat his own world record on The N. pole.

I remeber Eric, telling many times that freedivers in Canada (he also) are diving near 0 C - to 60+.

-So Bill,if you have someone to witness,,footage maybe,that`s equal to Kike`s diving attempts,because as you know ice freedivng is not an official discipline.

-I also did some Ice freediving with Herbert N.We went for training.I did 50 in c.w. and 50 in free Im.I told that in Croatia,and I was on the front pages of main newspapers-stupid,Kike was very very angry.You can not immagine,what`s going on in Croatia....he is telling that he is world record holder and the best freediver in the world,and they are buying that :vangry

/He can do that only here,but I must know for deeper dives,to tell everyone the thruth!

p.s. sorry about my English

Stay deep!

if his goal is to become "the best freediver in the world" then he should set some world records in the main freediving disciplines (like constant weight, variable weight etc).

a friend recently told me she saw a TV documentary about a Croatian freediver who claimed he could "hold his breath longer than anyone else in the world". i didn't see it so i can't verify who the person was or exactly what was said.

My comments on Kike and freediving under ice:

First of all its stupid to waste time on arguing who is the world record holder in any discipline under ice, since these are not well defined.
But if someone cuts a hole in the ice and dives to 50m fins only, then it is a record dive until someone does better. I'm sure that Kike did not say after his dive "i'm a new record holder" without at least checking for better results.
I've never met Kike, but I read a lot about him, and i never found a quote "I'm best freediver in the world". He is not the best, but certainly one of the best. His best constant weight dive of 88m as far as I know, is respectable. He just chooses some of the top freedivers events, and extreme record attempts, therefore we dont hear often about his dives.

The point is to enjoy freediving, if it becomes an argument about who's the best, the whole point is gone.

My opinion is that constant weight is the ultimate discipline and those who are not at similar depths as Kike in this category,cant say anything to him.

Marin

Kike has more failed AIDA record attempts than any other diver. I can't recall how many times he announced the constant weight record and failed (the static record as well). At some point you must realize that you should first achieve the depth in practice, THEN announce the record, not vice versa.

He strikes me somewhat like a Christian Redl. Since he repeatedly failed to break records in respected categories, he invents new categories to set records in. He hasn't competed in any AIDA competition since Sardinia in 1998.

However, he has signed up for the World Static Contest of Monaco, in which I'm also competing. This is an elimination tournament. I hope I go up against him in the first round! This competition will quickly dispel any beliefs about his abilities.

I'm actually surprised he signed up for Monaco. He knows that to win, he would have to beat Tom Sietas, which is basically impossible, so he's guaranteed to lose, and when he loses he will lose his self proclaimed title of 'greatest freediver in the world.'

I'm actually surprised he signed up for Monaco. He knows that to win, he would have to beat Tom Sietas, which is basically impossible, so he's guaranteed to lose, and when he loses he will lose his self proclaimed title of 'greatest freediver in the world.'[/QUOTE]

Hi

i'm new here at the forum and I'm also a friend of Kike. Kike have never called himself the " greatest freediver in the world". Other people have done, but not he.

-Tiger

Tiger said:
i'm new here at the forum and I'm also a friend of Kike. Kike have never called himself the " greatest freediver in the world". Other people have done, but not he.'

-Tiger[/QUOTE]

-Then you don`t read the newspapers!
sometimes journalists can also write something that is not true......

We`ll see about Monaco,I asked him if he is going ,and he didn`t anwserd me.

For your information Marin and Tiger,he told 2 times that he did a world record in c.w. and static

AIDA,Croatia,complained to RTL tv.,and other newspapers.
----------------
Eric,everything you told,is true.Do you think,that he will come to Monaco!?
I know the anwser...we`ll see.
--------------------
Alun,yes it was about Kike.Eric told very clearly,why`s he doing Ice freediving,not real disciplines.......

Stay deep!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT