• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Constrictor Cord Material

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DiveHacker

Jun 17, 2020
I had a wishbone come out of the band and I do not have much material and don't have many shops around me. I do have some 1.5mm dyneema. Would this work well as constrictor cord? I am gonna try it anyway but just thought I would post here in hopes to get some quick responses.

Reactions: Mr. X
Yes, it happened to me once too, never again.Yes, good option. I am currently using 1.8mm spectra for my constrictor knots. Kevlar is good, no stretch. Best not to go too narrow.

I've tried all sorts. Braid works. But you have to be careful with cords that stretch they need to be tried extra tight.

Thanks. I did use it. I sorta liked working with it, although i suppose it would be expensive if you did a lot of bands. I may pick up some braided line.

Lately, I don't use anything but dyneema for constrictor material. Not cheap but it is more expensive losing bands or running out of daylight while swimming to shore to change the gun.

Reactions: DiveHacker
Braided nylon 1.5 or 1mm.The Dynema used for fast repair 1mm tied in water to aviod friction.Other wise i use vasaline or bp jelly!also for wish bone in dynema i inject siringe with out needle in to latex hole aids insetion probability for dynama wish bone

I bought 50m reel of 1.8mm Apnea Dyneema from https://SpearfishingStore.co.uk, they often have the best prices, and I bought it during one of their 30% off sales, as part of a bigger order (so no extra shipping). If I don't use it as reel line (I have a 100m of thicker, brighter, cheaper polypropylene para cord for that), it should last a while.

I think it had already sold out before the final 40% off sale. The webstore is now under new management. They are starting to ramp up gradually, with covid and all. It will be Interesting to see how they will run things. They seem pleasant and helpful.

I bought 50m reel of 1.8mm Apnea Dyneema from https://SpearfishingStore.co.uk, they often have the best prices, and I bought it during one of their 30% off sales, as part of a bigger order (so no extra shipping). If I don't use it as reel line (I have a 100m of thicker, brighter, cheaper polypropylene para cord for that), it should last a while.

I think it had already sold out before the final 40% off sale. The webstore is now under new management. They are starting to ramp up gradually, with covid and all. It will be Interesting to see how they will run things. They seem pleasant and helpful.

It seems a young guy is the new owner. I wish them all the success. It is terrible times to be involved in small leisure business now.

Reactions: Mr. X
I've used waxed line for years and it's worked very well for me. Easier to cinch down. I double up the line and tie the constrictor knot.

I tried thin constrictor cord and had my wishbones pull out before. Probably my fault for not making it tighter.
I fear braided line is going to be too thin and may actually cut into the rubber.

Braided line comes in various diameters and materials. Ditto "waxed line".

The waxed line is my preferred material, but I do see some of my partners and store bought bands tied with cord. No matter which you use, make sure to tie it tight. I loop the tying ends around solid objects and pull with all my might.

Braided nylon 1.5 or 1mm.The Dynema used for fast repair 1mm tied in water to aviod friction.Other wise i use vasaline or bp jelly!also for wish bone in dynema i inject siringe with out needle in to latex hole aids insetion probability for dynama wish bone
It probably doesn't make much difference but I avoid using petroleum products like Vaseline, WD40 and 3 in 1 oil on rubber, plastic - including nylon/perlon - or silicone, and almost all dive related equipment in fact. (Interestingly though neoprene is thought to be relatively resistant to oil and is used for sealing washers in oil systems.)

Instead, for dive equipment, I tend to use silicone spray, glycerol/glycerine, soapy water or talc (silicone grease or silicone gel or KY jelly would likely be fine too). For making bands, I use soapy water, in a pinch I would use saliva, as the slipperiness soon disappears, which is what I want.

Last edited:
So "waxed line (as in https://speargun.com/collections/power-bands/products/waxed-nylon-tying-line-125-yards) is the preferred material and considered most reliable for the purpose?
It depends on the type of cord. This waxed cord is nylon so I expect it stretches some, unlike Kevlar for example. The diameter and strength are also factors to consider. Wax might help but it is not essential or even normal - you could Wax your own cord if you like the idea; I would probably use beeswax which is tacky over paraffin wax which is more slippy (very technical :D).There is no one accepted standard for constrictor cord; many cords will work to a greater or lesser degree.

I had a wishbone come out of the band and I do not have much material and don't have many shops around me. I do have some 1.5mm dyneema. Would this work well as constrictor cord? I am gonna try it anyway but just thought I would post here in hopes to get some quick responses.
I have been using 2mm Venetian blind cord for many years and never had a failure, even on 18mm bands stretched to 400% on a rollergun. Dyneema is much more expensive I consider it over kill. Some dyneema has very smooth outer sheath and sometimes slips when using the sheet bend method on wish bones. I find that I need a double sheet bend to prevent this.. I prefer to use spectra for wishbones it doesn't last as long dyneema but is cheaper and knots grip better. If I was using dyneema for constrictor knots I would use a double constrictor.

It probably doesn't make much difference but I avoid using petroleum products like Vaseline, WD40 and 3 in 1 oil on rubber, plastic - including nylon/perlon - or silicone, and almost all dive related equipment in fact. (Interestingly though neoprene is thought to be relatively resistant to oil and is used for sealing washers in oil systems.)

Instead, for dive equipment, I tend to use silicone spray, glycerol/glycerine, soapy water or talc (silicone grease or silicone gel or KY jelly would likely be fine too). For making bands, I use soapy water, in a pinch I would use saliva, as the slipperiness soon disappears, which is what I want.
I have been using lanolin l for my wishbones the stuff I use is meant for lubricating joints in rubber ring pipes very rubber friendly.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT